• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Recommend a book or online turorial link

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there.. I work for a software firm. Its like this. I actually finished my BE in Electronics & Communication. However my C and C++ skills were pretty good (although not perfect). So I got recruited. I had no idea about java. But I have to work on Java, JSP, Servlets. In one month I somehow managed to learn a part of Java,JSP,Servlets. But I feel its not upto the mark. Thats why I want a book where I can type the code from an example and learn (improve) my skills using it. I found a book called "Java Examples in A Nutshell" . How is the book ? Is there any better book or some online tutorials ? I don't get much of free time. I get about 2 hrs per day during weekdays but I m fully free on Saturdays and Sundays. And I have to finish a lot of stuff as soon as possible. So please help

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sun's online Java Tutorials are quite good. In our Bunkhouse we have a lot of book reviews.

Prabhat Kumar N
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The book Java Examples in A Nutshell is rated 5 out of 10 in bunkhouse. Even though its 1st edition thats rated and 3rd edition is currently out. Any other book which has lot of examples which I can look, practice and learn ?

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did you follow the link which Jesper gave? Did you use the search for books on JSP and/or servlets? I did and got lot of interesting results.
Did you visit our servlets faq and jsp faq sections?

Prabhat Kumar N
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes. I checked. When I search many of the results give books with reviews "good introductory explanation.. with examples.." But what I need is a book full of examples. I need very less introductory topics and more & more examples with explanations for those programs. Thats all.. Thats why I was asking here, so that you could give preference to some of them. Please help

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As mentioned, the Sun java tutorials have lots of good examples, often quite advanced. IMO they are not the best for beginners because they tend to include a lot of things that are not essential to the specific topic being exemplified, but for someone experienced in c++ like yourself, that shouldn't be a problem.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I like the Sun tutorials too. (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/index.html). There are many many books out there, and they are all pretty good. It's hard to go wrong. (Although I'm not that fond of the "Java in a Nutshell" book.) I'd check out a used book store. Plus, you might want to look into Thinking in Java, by Bruce Eckel: http://www.mindviewinc.com/Books/ -- Bruce Eckel makes old editions of some of his books available online. For Java, it's the 3rd edition, published in 2002, which won't include 1.5 features.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
java complete reference is one good book. Effective Java is also other good book i found my self.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic