• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ajax libraries

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello friends,

I am new to Ajax development.

Can anyone tell me use of Ajax? Is it for UI development also or just for small part of data processing?

What I see on various sources is that there are various libraries available also like ext, DOJO, YUI (Yahoo User Interface), GWT (Google Web Toolkit).

Can anyone tell differences briefly among there and their purpose?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nikes Shah wrote:Hello friends,

I am new to Ajax development.

Can anyone tell me use of Ajax? Is it for UI development also or just for small part of data processing?

What I see on various sources is that there are various libraries available also like ext, DOJO, YUI (Yahoo User Interface), GWT (Google Web Toolkit).

Can anyone tell differences briefly among there and their purpose?

AJAX originally stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML which is a technique for downloading file with XML format from server aysnchronously without reloading the entire page. Nowadays, AJAX is not limited to download files with XML format, it also allows webbrowser downloading files with various format such as: pure text, JSON, JSONP, etc. Using the technique of AJAX, you can download a file asychronously or sychronously without reloading the webpage and changing the URL in the Address box in a webbrowser.

ext-js, DOJO and YUI are common "client-side" javascript libraries for simplifying the task in handling DOM Objects, AJAX communications and process events. They difference in their coding style, organization of code and their UI.

GWT is a java library for developing web applications (e.g. generating HTML code and javascript functions, including AJAX functions) mainly running on "Google App Engine"

Nikes Shah
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Cloudgen

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
GWT isn't mainly for running on GAE; it's for people that want to wrap up their client-side code in Java. Whether or not that's a good idea is a different issue.

Prototype and jQuery are JavaScript-oriented libraries, which people have used to build GUI components. Things like Dojo and YUI are more "complete" JavaScript solutions that include similar functionality but also have a lot of GUI components already in the system. The GUI portions don't need to be used, however.

Each have their advantages and disadvantages, and which is chosen may depend on individual preferences as well as technical requirements.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic