• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

notify() vs notifyAll() in this code

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I know the difference between those two was already discussed not once, but still don't really understand it in practice, for example here (K&B book, Chapter 9)

Regardless of whether I use notify() or notifyAll() in lines 26-27, all three Reader threads get notified and print their messages:
Thread[Thread-1,5,main]: Waiting for calculation...
Thread[Thread-3,5,main]: Waiting for calculation...
Thread[Thread-2,5,main]: Waiting for calculation...
Thread[Thread-2,5,main]: Total is: 4950
Thread[Thread-3,5,main]: Total is: 4950
Thread[Thread-1,5,main]: Total is: 4950

What is it that I am missing?

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well the calculator thread will notify only one thread if notify() is used, which thread its unpredictable. But when the calculator thread completes, it calls its own notifyall() method. So if you have some thread which are joined(calculator.join()) to the end of calculator thread will be notified when the calculator thread completes. notifyAll() is called as soon as the run method ends. I suppose you can try this behaviour commenting out both notify and notifyall. Well as found out this is an unexpected behaviour of the thread. It can be avoided and to really check the notify and notifyall, implement Runnable as it is advised to that in most cases using threads. Make CalcReader and Calculator implementing the Runnable interface and start these runnables using new Thread(runnable).start() . May be you will see the expected behaviour then. Well there is problem here if the calculator runs first calling the notifyAll and then the other 3 threads, then again this program will no end. Well then you can use setPriority() and make use of MAX_PRIORITY, MIN_PRIORITY and NORM_PRIORITY over using numbers from 1 to 10 more like this

cheers

Ranch Hand
Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@ Andre I agree with Neetish and also you can see this

Andre Enimot
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nitish, Ninad, thank you for explaining. Oooooo that's a big one! So notifyAll() is called automatically by any run() method after it completes! I don't think this is mentioned in the K&B book, is it.

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Andre Enimot wrote:Nitish, Ninad, thank you for explaining. Oooooo that's a big one! So notifyAll() is called automatically by any run() method after it completes! I don't think this is mentioned in the K&B book, is it.

No it isn't, and you don't need to know that for the exam as it is an implementation detail of the API which can change (actually this has been implemented like this because of the join method, search the forum for more details)...

Nitish Bangera
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes you don't need to know that.. Just can get the concept that's all. Also its based on how join works that's all which is not needed to know it detail. Also not by any run but only the thread's run method and not runnable's run method.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is unlikely that the exam will try to trick you with that knowledge. Since the behavior is not documented, you will not be asked about it

That new kid is a freak. Show him this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic