• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question about an example in the book Mastering EJB 3.0 4th edition

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,
I have got a problem with one of examples in the book Mastering EJB 3.0 4th edition. In chapter 4, the authors give an example of stateful Session Bean, the class of this bean has got those two functions (it has got more, but those are the two most important):

Later, authors configure the server, so in one time there could exists only 2 instance of the beans in the pool. Then, they write a client class and they are making three instance of this bean.
The output of the server is this (different functions in the session bean print different strings)

The author say that this is the proof that, one of the session beans passivated and then activated. I don`t see this proof. In my opinion, if this would happened, then one of the string in the output would be like this:

But this not happened. So why the authors says that we can see here an example of passivation and activation of the sessionbean.

Thanks, and sorry if this is stupid question ^^

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

The activate/passivate are life cycle callback methods but a bean can leave and die whiteout to use them.
In most of the cases the application server trigger this method when it tries to free some space or when it tries to move a bean from one application container to an other. In your case I don't think that the server runs out of resources .

Regards,
Mihai

Tom Kowalski
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mihai Radulescu wrote:Hi

The activate/passivate are life cycle callback methods but a bean can leave and die whiteout to use them.
In most of the cases the application server trigger this method when it tries to free some space or when it tries to move a bean from one application container to an other. In your case I don't think that the server runs out of resources .

Regards,
Mihai

Yes, but in the book, authors says that it is possible to change configuration of the server (GlassFish etc.) , so it could have only X (in this case 2) instance of the beans in time. And if the server will notice, that it have to use three instance of the beans, then it should treat it like the ‘out of resources’ and it should passivate one of the beans.

Mihai Radulescu
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

The book an describe a vendor specific behavior, even with this different version from the same application server can act different. You must read the Glassfish specification to see under which conditions the "pasivate" is triggered.
My point here is : construct/destroy are the only two call back methods certainly called. The pasivate/activate may be call (under some condition).

Regards,
Mihai

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mihai Radulescu wrote:Hi

The book an describe a vendor specific behavior, even with this different version from the same application server can act different. You must read the Glassfish specification to see under which conditions the "pasivate" is triggered.
My point here is : construct/destroy are the only two call back methods certainly called. The pasivate/activate may be call (under some condition).

Regards,
Mihai

Well, the book itself is kinda sloppy, IMO. If I'm understanding the point of the stateful bean example, the container should be limited to using only 2 instances of the bean, the creation of a third, therefore, should cause the PrePassivate callback to be called by the container. Even in the output of the example in the book there is no indication that this never happened, and goes on to say that

Then, as you can see from the passivation/activation messages in the log, the server is indeed passivating and activating beans ...

Okay, this is a free publication so some allowances can be made, but it would appear that the author(s) him/herself couldn't or wouldn't get the server to properly perform the requirement. Given the quality of other areas of the tutorial I'm not surprised (couldn't they have at least normalized the build scripts?).
But I still believe the material offers some good information.

~Karl

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic