• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I have a java with HTML question..This stuff can get confusing

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am not sure of my best course of action and would appreciate some input. My problem is this. I have written an application in java that communicates with a

micro controller and passes information back and forth.I read info from sensors and relays and make changes to them. My current GUI is set up with tables to

display this info. I am in the process of creating a graphics based interface to display the information in a web page but I am having trouble getting my

java program to update the HTML page. I have considered using java to update a database with values and then reading the database with PHP and updating the

HTML but I do not know how to get the java to run the PHP. I can use the java.awt.desktop API to display the html but I cant get it to display the .php files

due to the server issues with PHP. I am not sure what I am looking for here. Javascript? AJAX? What I want is for the user to push a button that loads a

web page and have java read that html file to determine which specific values to update, then update specific text boxes with those values from the

microcontroller. I already have the communication with my current java program. I know this is all a little confusing and convoluted and I apologize for

that. I am just having a tough time formulating a plan of attack. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

I will try to answer any questions as quickly as I can. All input is welcome.

Ray Jaramillo
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Reposting due to formatting issues...

I am not sure of my best course of action and would appreciate some input. My problem is this. I have written an application in java that communicates with a microcontroller and passes information back and forth.I read info from sensors and relays and make changes to them. My current GUI is set up with tables to display this info. I am in the process of creating a graphics based interface to display the information in a web page but I am having trouble getting my java program to update the HTML page. I have considered using java to update a database with values and then reading the database with PHP and updating the HTML but I do not know how to get the java to run the PHP. I can use the java.awt.desktop API to display the html but I cant get it to display the .php files due to the server issues with PHP. I am not sure what I am looking for here. Javascript? AJAX? What I want is for the user to push a button that loads a webpage and have java read that html file to determine which specific values to update, then update specific text boxes with those values from the microcontroller. I already have the communication with my current java program. I know this is all a little confusing and convoluted and I apologize for that. I am just having a tough time formulating a plan of attack. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,

Ray

Any ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Are you writing a web app, or a desktop app?

It sounds like you're trying to write *both*, and I don't quite get that.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic