• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Nobel Prizes 2009

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
And here they are lined up...

http://nobelprize.org/nobelfoundation/press/2009/announcements_09.html

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think the Ig Nobel Prizes fit better in this forum...

VETERINARY MEDICINE PRIZE: Catherine Douglas and Peter Rowlinson of Newcastle University, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK, for showing that cows who have names give more milk than cows that are nameless.

PEACE PRIZE: Stephan Bolliger, Steffen Ross, Lars Oesterhelweg, Michael Thali and Beat Kneubuehl of the University of Bern, Switzerland, for determining — by experiment — whether it is better to be smashed over the head with a full bottle of beer or with an empty bottle.

ECONOMICS PRIZE: The directors, executives, and auditors of four Icelandic banks — Kaupthing Bank, Landsbanki, Glitnir Bank, and Central Bank of Iceland — for demonstrating that tiny banks can be rapidly transformed into huge banks, and vice versa — and for demonstrating that similar things can be done to an entire national economy.

CHEMISTRY PRIZE: Javier Morales, Miguel Apátiga, and Victor M. Castaño of Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, for creating diamonds from liquid — specifically from tequila.

MEDICINE PRIZE: Donald L. Unger, of Thousand Oaks, California, USA, for investigating a possible cause of arthritis of the fingers, by diligently cracking the knuckles of his left hand — but never cracking the knuckles of his right hand — every day for more than sixty (60) years.

PHYSICS PRIZE: Katherine K. Whitcome of the University of Cincinnati, USA, Daniel E. Lieberman of Harvard University, USA, and Liza J. Shapiro of the University of Texas, USA, for analytically determining why pregnant women don't tip over.

LITERATURE PRIZE: Ireland's police service (An Garda Siochana), for writing and presenting more than fifty traffic tickets to the most frequent driving offender in the country — Prawo Jazdy — whose name in Polish means "Driving License".

PUBLIC HEALTH PRIZE: Elena N. Bodnar, Raphael C. Lee, and Sandra Marijan of Chicago, Illinois, USA, for inventing a brassiere that, in an emergency, can be quickly converted into a pair of protective face masks, one for the brassiere wearer and one to be given to some needy bystander.

MATHEMATICS PRIZE: Gideon Gono, governor of Zimbabwe’s Reserve Bank, for giving people a simple, everyday way to cope with a wide range of numbers — from very small to very big — by having his bank print bank notes with denominations ranging from one cent ($.01) to one hundred trillion dollars ($100,000,000,000,000).

BIOLOGY PRIZE: Fumiaki Taguchi, Song Guofu, and Zhang Guanglei of Kitasato University Graduate School of Medical Sciences in Sagamihara, Japan, for demonstrating that kitchen refuse can be reduced more than 90% in mass by using bacteria extracted from the feces of giant pandas.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm liking my chances this year!

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
They told me that they'll give me the nobel prize, but I decided that I won't accept it. I'll recommend your name to them Ernest (I'm so noble )...

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Someone left a message in Swedish on my answering machine at 3 a.m. the other morning. I wondered what that was all about. So I guess they must have gone with their second choice because I didn't get back to them soon enough.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Amid the predictable chorus of my less-than contemporaries droning about what an honor it is "just to be nominated," I plan to formally announce that I'm more than a little pissed about my being overlooked again this year, and outline (in appropriately vague terms) my multi-pronged response to said slighting and the disturbing pattern thereof. Details of my press conference will be released later this afternoon; but basically, I will be making a brief (3.5 hour) statement tomorrow morning, followed by a 5-hour question period. Chips and salsa will be served during the statement portion of the conference, followed by orange Hostess Snoballs during the question period. Thank you.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are 2 types of people who want Nobel prize - the young(early teenager wanna be geeks) and the old
and there is only one type of people who makes joke about Nobel - only the old people

Testing the limits

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am trying to work on something that will be very generic but difficult to understand. And hope that with time it becomes more intuitive. Chances are I might get nominated for one such discovery sometime in future.

Get out of my mind! Look! A tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic