• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to get Eclipse working with my bunch of .java and .class files?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a bunch of .java files and .class files in a src folder. The sad part was it was all working fine until i closed my Eclipse but then i can't get my workspace to come back. It disappeared. I clicked on the project and it wouldn't come back and load my workspace with all those files.

Also, i can't even find my Eclipse on my start menu so i don't know why it didn't set to the start Menu when i downloaded it from the Eclipse site. I don't know how to search for it.

However, i do know that i have Eclipse installed because i got it opened and working before i decided to close the application.

1. I click on the project file near where i have my assign1 folder and it requests which workspace do i want.
2. I click OK.
3. It opens Eclipse but it's empty.
4. I click File ->Open
5. I select the same project file but all it says ?=? xml projectDescription
That's not what i want of course. Clicking on it does nothing.

I want the project that will have all my classes and .java files so i can compile and run them and enter stuff in their Java Console. Why is it not working???

Please help me get going. My assignment is due tonight and i am forced to wasting time trying to understand how Eclipse or JCreator (I put my problem Q in a different thread).

I can't seem to get either applications working.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ana Suvari wrote:I have a bunch of .java files and .class files in a src folder. The sad part was it was all working fine until i closed my Eclipse but then i can't get my workspace to come back. It disappeared. I clicked on the project and it wouldn't come back and load my workspace with all those files.

Also, i can't even find my Eclipse on my start menu so i don't know why it didn't set to the start Menu when i downloaded it from the Eclipse site. I don't know how to search for it.

Eclipse is generally installed somewhere in your "my documents" area. Just bring up the file explorer to find it. Also, you want to find eclipse, and not the project, which can be in two possible locations. Once you find the eclipse dir (and not the workspace), you can traverse into it, to find the eclipse icon -- which you can click to start eclipse.

1. I click on the project file near where i have my assign1 folder and it requests which workspace do i want.

You need to go to eclipse, and not the project -- if eclipse is configured correctly, it should know how to find the project. There is no need to go to the project and click the project file.

Henry

Ana Suvari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Henry, I've now found my Eclipse and saved it on Start Menu but I still can't retreive my workspace.

I saved it under C:\Assign2

But when i closed Eclipse and try to open Eclipse by the Start Menu and I get a dialog box to enter a workspace and I choose C:\Assign2, the dialog box goes away but on the left column of the workspace called Explorer, It is EMPTY.

It's completely blank. How do you explain that?

The directory still exists in Windows Explorer. I have no idea why it should be blank.

I also need to import my .class and .java files in the proper folders which i copied and pasted with Window Explorer but Eclipse refuses to recognize them when initially created Assign2 and tried to check if there was anything in src files but it was empty although Explorer says otherwise.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic