• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Game Console

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
anyone here into game consoles?

I need some advice - after years of playing games on PC, I think i am finally ready to move into world of PS3/Wii/Nintendo. However not sure which one to go for!

Any advice as which one is best and which is value for money etc.

(i will be a buyer in UK - in case local experts have some suggestions based on UK market prices)

cheers.

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would suggest you ignore the platform and look at the games which are released for each console. Look for games which match your style of play and find which platform has most of them, and buy that system.

Depending on what types of games you like to play, maybe a console isn't right for you. I have always been disappointed with real time strategy games on consoles. They just don't have the correct interface for it.

The Wii is a very fun system to play with groups and especially kids. The games are easy to pick up and get you really involved in them. It is lots of fun. But if you are looking for real time strategies, or first person shooters its not the best system.

The XBox seems to have the best first person shooters and role-playing type games. There are a few very good studios that write exclusively for the XBox.

I don't know much about the PS3. so I can't compare, but it doesn't look like there are a lot of 'best sellers' that are exclusively on the PS3, at least not that I know of. The PS3 offers other things than a game console though - like a BluRay player so maybe factor that into your purchase decision.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Opinion only... take with grain of salt...

If you come from a PC gaming background, the XBOX would probably have the most games that are similar. As Steve mentioned FPS and RPGs.

The PS3 is actually a great way to get a cheap blueray player. It also, IMO, has the most games -- you should have no problem finding a great game for your favorite genre (as a side note, it really bothers me that the newer PS3 units are no longer compatible with PS2 games, WTF).

As for the Wii, this is a must have if you are a Nintendo fan. For example, you are not going to find a Zelda game anywhere else. This system is must for people who grew up with Nintendo and wants the next iterations of games from Nintendo. It is also a great unit for younger children.

Henry

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I dont know about XBox or PS3.

But I use wii and its really a great fun. Also there is Wii Fit which is even more fun.
Wii Fit is about yoga and gym with fun play games.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

This system is must for people who grew up with Nintendo and wants the next iterations of games from Nintendo.

++ on zelda. I have played every zelda game (except for the ones on GBA etc). The WII is great. I would recommend it

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Wii is a bit of a soft option. I have one, and the graphics are typically lower quality than other consoles. Also, many of the games released are mass produced (due to the low graphics requirements) and some games try to experiment with the use of the controllers, leading to a dubious user experience. That said, the kids like it.

A hard-core gamer friend lives and breathes his XBox, and replaced it despite a 'red ring' ie it died. The graphics are typically pretty good (or great) and the internet play is built-in.

I don't know anyone with a Play Station.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David O'Meara wrote:The Wii is a bit of a soft option.

Absolutely! I vaguely recall reading the Wii was targeted at non-gamers. And it worked. It's the first video game console I've ever owned. And I use it almost exclusively for active games. (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Resort)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How much is a lifespan for a gaming console? Like a newer version released & it becomes obsolete or it just gets hardware problems in some years...

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I mostly play FPS and sport games. I love my XBOX !
Also, it's not necessary, but you'd better have a high definition television to enjoy the games fully.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I recently bought a PS3 Slim and so far it has been good. I had considered buying an Xbox, but game forums were still rife with red ring of death problems. Maybe it isn't an issue anymore but I didn't want to take a risk considering that a PS3 Slim comes at $300. But playing FPS games on a PS3 isn't as comfortable as playing them on a PC.

I'm not sure how things are in the Xbox world, but connecting a PS3 Slim to anything other than a TV can be a bit of a pain. It doesn't have a VGA out (I think Xbox does). So to use a computer monitor, the monitor should support DVI-D and you need a HDMI to DVI-D converter. To get 5.1 sound you need a speaker set that takes in S/PDIF optical input. I have two 5.1 speaker sets - one which takes in RCA inputs and the other one takes audio jack inputs. Both are useless with the PS3. Also there are no jacks for headphone/mic.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic