• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

STRUTS - Remebering page access after login

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am working on a Web App and I don't know how to do something.
I am requiring that the user login to access certain aspects of the web app. So when the user clicks on a link, I check the session for the user and if it exists, all is fine, I can go on to the link. However, if the user does not exist I redirect to the login page.
What I need to do now is after they login, go to the page they were originially requesting. So how do I store that information in the session so that I know where I am supposed to foward to after the user logs in?
Thanks.

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In our current project, we use form-based authentication to accomplish this functionality. In web.xml, you define the URLs that you want to secure, the login page URL (which can be a .do), and a login error page. The container handles the rest transparently and it works exactly as you described. That is, once you've got the proper settings in web.xml, any requests for a secured page will make the container check if there is an authenticated user for that session. If not, it remembers what the original URL requested was, then brings up the login page. Once a valid username/password is entered, the originally requested page is brought up.
There are some things you have to handle specifically in your application though such as when a password has expired and when a session times out.
You might also want to use SSL if the secure pages contain really sensitive data.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Junilu,
Thanks fot the response. Do you by any chance have a link to some documentation for the Web.xml file on setting up what you suggested?
Thanks.

Junilu Lacar
Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Gregg,
You can start here. Sorry I don't have any more links. I remember searching for "form-based authentication" a lot when we were trying to figure all this out.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I actually have a similiar requirement, but only a few pages where it is a requirement for the user to be logged in.
When the action is called that directs to a sensitive spot, it checks for a login as yours does. If that check fails, it sets a session value describing a struts target - which forwards back to this action after the user has logged in.
After the login action verifies the user, it checks to see if this session target value is set. If so, it then forwards the user to that target value, as opposed to the standard page after a login.
HTH.
Paul

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That sounds like a good approach Paul. Does anyone know what is the prefered method as far as Web App Specifications go?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi there !
Paul, how do you redirect/forward the user to the originally requested page ? Via response.sendRedirect or dynamically changing the �path� value for a struts-config.xml forward ? (is that possible?)
In fact , I�m using a ServletFilter to check if the user is properly logged. From there, I keep the requested URL in a session attribute and upon successful login , I�m sending the user back to the originally asked URL. It works fine , but I don�t like bypassing the controller via response object... I�d like a way of doing this under Struts...
Any idea ?
Tks
F�bio

Paul Woods
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by fabio gama:
Hi there !
Paul, how do you redirect/forward the user to the originally requested page ? Via response.sendRedirect or dynamically changing the �path� value for a struts-config.xml forward ? (is that possible?)

For my purposes mapping.findForward(target) has worked quite well. Any action that might make this call to LoginAction, I have defined as a forward in struts-config.xml, and that is the referenced target.
I am not sure about dynamically changing values in the struts-config.xml file. I've heard of it, but never done it myself.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic