• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Must I use rmic when I'm choosing RMI

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, folks. I am reading the book 'SCJD EXAM with J2SE5' which shows an example of creating a DVD rent system. I've noticed one of paragraph:
â– Caution
Even though Java 5.0 has added dynamic stub generation to alleviate RMI developers from
explicitly invoking rmic on their remote classes prior to runtime, you must still do so for the certification
project. This is important: The use of rmic is still required as of this writing for the Java developer certification
project.

Because I've decided to use the RMI as my server-client communication. However, I can't find any requirements in my assignment to say I must use the rmic. (My assignment is Bodgitt and Scarper v.2.2.1)

Must I use the rmic in my assignment?

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

pkinuk Buler wrote:Must I use the rmic in my assignment?

Champion, this is one interesting question! I guess I was the only one that didn't generate any stub. Most of the people around here chose to run rmic.
Please take a look here. This is another thread that discusses a similar question.

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Roberto Perillo wrote:I guess I was the only one that didn't generate any stub. Most of the people around here chose to run rmic.

That's because I convince people not to take the risk of automatic failure, it's easy and not a lot of work (certainly if you use an Ant-script to build your submission jar, like I did).

Kind regards,
Roel

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,
I also generated RMI stubs in the submission.
Like Roel said, probably I thought it is better to be on the safer side and get away from an automatic-failure

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Guys !

I followed the same steps as perillo, I didn't make any stub, and wasn't any problem..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,

Roel De Nijs wrote:
That's because I convince people not to take the risk of automatic failure

why this may happen?

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Because it is a must requirement (although many people have passed without generating the rmi stubs, using rmic)

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think at some point the instructions may have been updated. Mine don't say anything explicit about rmic or generating stubs. They just say "You must provide all classes pre-installed so that no dynamic class downloading occurs", which I don't think is relevant to rmic (though, I'll admit, it's some time since I used RMI!).

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From this url:

This release adds support for the dynamic generation of stub classes at runtime, obviating the need to use the Java(tm) Remote Method Invocation (Java RMI) stub compiler, rmic, to pregenerate stub classes for remote objects. Note that rmic must still be used to pregenerate stub classes for remote objects that need to support clients running on earlier versions.

So use of rmic is a must requirement to pre-generate the stub classes (although many people passed already without doing so, maybe Oracle/Sun needs to update their instructions)

David Kachen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,

I think that Matthew is rights. I did not find any critical requirements in my assignment.
Roel, could you show me this requirement in your assignment? if you is not difficult. I would like to make sure that no such requirements in my assignment.

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Matthew shows this must requirement in his post:

You must provide all classes pre-installed so that no dynamic class downloading occurs

It clearly states that all classes should be pre-installed. And how you can check this, can be read in this thread.

David Kachen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Roel, now I understand everything.

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
But like I said: many people passed already without generating these classes, so I don't think it is still a must requirement

David Kachen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think that it is better to make Stub and dont worry about this. Besides, this does not demand the big efforts.

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Kachen wrote:Besides, this does not demand the big efforts.

That's true!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic