• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Standalone GORM

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What's the status of standalone GORM? A year or so ago I attempted to use GORM without Grails and had difficulty. Does the Groovy Recipe book discuss standalone GORM?

The codehaus page at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRAILS/GORM+-+StandAlone+Gorm is pretty decent but it may be dated since it discusses 0.5.6 GORM.

Anyone have news or links to a current guide?

thanks
[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Liz Ardmore ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Liz Ardmore:
What's the status of standalone GORM? A year or so I attempted to use GORM without Grails and had difficulty. Does the Groovy Recipe book discuss standalone GORM?

I had heard that this was going to get more attention after the 1.0 release of Grails was done, so hopefully something will be coming soon.

Dave

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll ask Graeme Rocher about it this weekend at the Groovy/Grails Experience. He's the leader of the Grails project.

As nice as GORM is, remember that there is a lot that we owe to being in a container -- Hibernate, Spring, etc. are all there and optimized to work together in a fairly constrained way. All of the magical GORM methods get dynamically added by virtue of the directory that the POGO is in, and so on. Taking any old POGO and making the persistence magic on it could potentially be a wee bit more problematic.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, and I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awesome. I just think that GORM outside of a well defined container might be more problematic than what you see at first glance...

My, my, aren't you a big fella. Here, have a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic