• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Learning JavaScript along with Ajax and JQuery

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can you do all at the same time or is it better to learn JavaScript first and then the others?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The nice thing about jQuery is that while it hides all the nasty boilerplate code you would normally have to write when dealing with multiple browsers, manipulating the DOM, etc it doesn't completely shield you from JavaScript the language. You still have to deal with functions, variables, and the like. So I think you can learn JavaScript and use jQuery at the same time. In fact, I've learned more about JavaScript while using jQuery. Remember that jQuery is just JavaScript using some fancy functions and closures.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll even go one step further and equate JavaScript->jQuery the same way I would equate Assembler->C. At some point, we really need to stop wondering how $('#elementId') works and just go with it. ;)

Gabe Yoshida
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was hoping that was the case. Looking forward to diving in. Thanks!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Gregg Bolinger wrote:I'll even go one step further and equate JavaScript->jQuery the same way I would equate Assembler->C. At some point, we really need to stop wondering how $('#elementId') works and just go with it. ;)

Sorry, there's no way I'll accept the javascript = assembler analogy
I know you're using this to make a point, but I can actually look at javascript and tell within a glance or two what it's doing, not so much assembler, well at least not any more. In fact I would argue that in this case jQuery is the less intuitive of the two languages. But I do agree that it's a very cool framework once you get used to it.

~Karl

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I didn't mean it from a syntactical point of view. I meant it from a low level vs high level language perspective. The fact that 100 lines of Assembler can be done in 5 lines of C, so can 100 lines of JavaScript be done in 5 lines of jQuery. Give or take. ;)

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Karl Krasnowsky wrote:
I know you're using this to make a point, but I can actually look at javascript and tell within a glance or two what it's doing

I know plenty of people who have no clue what JavaScript does with a long stare and not a glance.

Now this:

looks like a mess! lol

Gregg is probably talking about having to write less to get the same thing done. [Yep he just said that!]

Eric
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic