• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SYNCHRONIZATION - extend Thread - super() -- effect of using super() to Thread constructor?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hi, I need help understanding the use of super() on Thread. I'm currently studying SCJP6 primarily using K&B SCJP6 and now doing Whizlabs mock exams.
I have come across the use of super() on a subclass extending Thread. I cannot see any examples of this in the text I have been working from (chap 9),
so its probably not essential for the exam, but I want to do Whizlabs to a good standard before booking the exam.

Does "super(threadName); create a new thread immediately, and would that entered the runnable pool instantly?

ie

As well as searching chapter 9 in K&B, I have not found an example explaining the use of super in this context yet on Sun:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/threads or http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/concurrency

Please point me in the right direction if you know good explanations or examples of this!

MANY THANKS!

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think, this is another way of giving name for the thread. Also it does not alter the state of the program.

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nigel Shrin wrote:

This doesn't start any thread. This just creates a new instance of the Thread sub-class and sets its name. You'll have to start the thread yourself...

Nigel Shrin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ankit & Anbarasu,

It seems to make the new Thread runnable, and can be followed with a start()

Thank you for your help

Ankit Garg
Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nigel Shrin wrote:It seems to make the new Thread runnable, and can be followed with a start()

A thread is said to be runnable after you call its start method and the run method isn't complete. Creating an instance of Thread class doesn't make it runnable...

Nigel Shrin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi Ankit, thanks for your reply. I've been reading material on Sun and in reference books to understand this.
I was expecting to find a distinction between runnable and running, but they are the same unreportable status and it is down to the JVM which can be architecture & OS specific in its behaviour.
'getState' is runnable and 'isActive' is true - and that is as much as you can interrogate - is that right? (ie it doesn't prove its actually active at that point in time)

Another question arose from reading the API - when it says "extends Enum<Thread.State>" what is extending, the Thread class extends Enum<Thread.State>?

Looking at the API http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/, it shows the states as being stored in an enum object Thread.State:

java.lang
Enum Thread.State

java.lang.Object
java.lang.Enum<Thread.State>
java.lang.Thread.State
All Implemented Interfaces:
Serializable, Comparable<Thread.State>
Enclosing class:
Thread
public static enum Thread.State

extends Enum<Thread.State>
A thread state. A thread can be in one of the following states:

NEW
A thread that has not yet started is in this state.
RUNNABLE
A thread executing in the Java virtual machine is in this state.
BLOCKED
A thread that is blocked waiting for a monitor lock is in this state.
WAITING
A thread that is waiting indefinitely for another thread to perform a particular action is in this state.
TIMED_WAITING
A thread that is waiting for another thread to perform an action for up to a specified waiting time is in this state.
TERMINATED
A thread that has exited is in this state.

thanks again, and great scores, I aspire!

Nigel Shrin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ankit Garg wrote:

Nigel Shrin wrote:It seems to make the new Thread runnable, and can be followed with a start()

A thread is said to be runnable after you call its start method and the run method isn't complete. Creating an instance of Thread class doesn't make it runnable...

So the resultant state of a thread created using super(name) is: API definition: "NEW A thread that has not yet started is in this state."

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic