• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Difference Approaches between JSF in Action & JSF by Hans

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I just would like to know the difference between the following two books...
JavaServer Faces in Action

and

JavaServer Faces by the famous Hans Bergsten

As far as I see in the TOC of each of them, both of them covers most topics in common... But I do believe that there should be some kind of different approaches in discussing the topics of the books...

Could anyone comment on that? Thanks...

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ko Ko,

I can't really speak for Hans' book, but I can tell you want I think makes my book distinctive.

(1) A comprehensive case study. Parts 2 and 3 of the book focus on building a real application, examining everything from prototyping to custom authentication, JDBC integration, and so on.

(2) Coverage of tools. Throughout the book, I explain how different features work inside of tools, and show screen shots of Oracle JDeveloper, IBM WebSphere Studio, and Sun Java Studio Creator. There's also an entire appendix that shows how to build part of the case study in each tool.

(3) Extensive examples of custom components. I spend a total of six chapters talking about writing custom components, renderers, validators, and converters.

Also, in addition to around 740 pages in print, there will be another 330 or so available on-line.

So, naturally, I recommend JSF in Action. I'm probably a litle biased, though .

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kito:

Thanks for making the world a better place(by not printing those additional 330 pages), just kidding.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kito,
What version of WSAD supports JSF? 5.1.2?

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kito Mann:
(2) Coverage of tools. Throughout the book, I explain how different features work inside of tools, and show screen shots of Oracle JDeveloper, IBM WebSphere Studio, and Sun Java Studio Creator. There's also an entire appendix that shows how to build part of the case study in each tool.

Does it mean that your book explains most of the famous IDEs that support JSF in general? Since I have been with JBuilder for years, does ur book discusses about JBuilder support for JSF?

(3) Extensive examples of custom components. I spend a total of six chapters talking about writing custom components, renderers, validators, and converters.

Does your book like a complete reference for all topics of JSF? If not, could you specify the topics that you left from your book, which are related to JSF stuff...

Thanks a lot for the previous explanation about your book...

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeanne Boyarsky:
Kito,
What version of WSAD supports JSF? 5.1.2?

Jeanne, if I am not wrong, WSAD has been supporting JSF since its 5.1.1... But that was with JSF beta... but in 5.1.2, it will support the official release, I think...

I have one bookmark that I saved before about the WSAD support for JSF...
here it is Hope it might be useful for you...

Kito Mann
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ko Ko,

You're correct. WSAD 5.1.2 has production support for JSF. Several articles are available about it on developerWorks, and you can find them here.

Kito Mann
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ko Ko Naing:

Does it mean that your book explains most of the famous IDEs that support JSF in general? Since I have been with JBuilder for years, does ur book discusses about JBuilder support for JSF?
[QB]

[QB]
Does your book like a complete reference for all topics of JSF? If not, could you specify the topics that you left from your book, which are related to JSF stuff...

Thanks a lot for the previous explanation about your book...

I'm a big JBuilder user too, and unfortunately, Borland wasn't ready when I was working on that portion of the book. As far as the breadth of topics go, I try to cover just about everything to some extent. The book focuses more on the basics (UI components, renderers, validators, conveters, and internationalization), how to build an application, and developing custom components, renderers, and validators. The other topics, like JSF without JSP and decorating classes like the ViewHandler are covered, but in less detail.

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kito Mann:

I'm a big JBuilder user too, and unfortunately, Borland wasn't ready when I was working on that portion of the book.

I've posted some info about the upcoming JBuilder 2005 in this thread, where we talked about IDEs in your book...

It's good to hear that JBuilder 2005 will fully compatible with the JSF and moreover it will support Tiger as well...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic