• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Replace class in deployed EAR

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm not sure where to put this question so if it doesn't belong here just move it.

I have a deployed EAR on our server. It has been well over a year since I have worked with this particular project but recently realized that I needed to retype a couple of variables from float to double to stop an overflow math issue. I need to put this updated class into the EAR and was wondering if I could just replace the current class with my updated one without any issues? I don't have a way to test this as this is deployed in production and I'd like to avoid any hiccups if possible. Can I do this "hot swap"? Will I have to restart the server or will the application pick up the new class upon the next use of the application?

Thanks for any pointers.
Bryce

Bryce Martin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So after doing some more looking around I thought that I might give it a try. And it worked! As long as you have the class compiled at the same level as the deployed EAR you can replace a class of the same compile level in the war file.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic