• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Would like to have advice on Java programming.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I realise there are quite a lot of Java stuff like Struts, Hibernate, Eclipse, Tomcat, Flex etc etc.

Would someone advise me for a beginner, do we need to learn all the above? What is most useful in the marketing area?

OK. Hope to hear from the experts here soon.

Thank You.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to learn what is required for the project you are working on (or if you simply feel like it).

It really depends on what the software should be able to do. The word Marketing doesn't help much.

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Flex isn't Java.

tangara goh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sebastian Janisch wrote:You need to learn what is required for the project you are working on (or if you simply feel like it).

It really depends on what the software should be able to do. The word Marketing doesn't help much.

I think Marketing is very confusing. Sorry about that.

What I would like to do is I already have a form that collects names, address, etc etc.

My next step that I would like to do is to enable people to state what they want and then I'll make the web program pull out the stuff that statisfied that condition.

Right now, I only learnt JEE, JSE, javascript, HTML, XML, AJAX with TomCat server. So, I'd like to know if I need to learn Hibernate or JBOss to make my above applications easier. And something that I don't have to spend alot of time in it because I do not have the luxury of time to learn everything. Best is I can have something already done and then I just use it with my existing program.

Hope to hear the experts' views here. Thanks.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, if you need to be able to put stuff into a database you'd want to learn JDBC (important to know even if you're using an ORM), possibly Spring (Spring has a lot of functionality that makes working with DBs easier) and possibly an ORM like JPA, pure Hibernate, or one of the other solutions.

If you're asking which to learn, Hibernate or JBoss, learn Hibernate--while it's good to know specific application servers, it's not the most important thing to know.

It's "Tomcat", by the way, not "TomCat".

tangara goh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Newton wrote:Well, if you need to be able to put stuff into a database you'd want to learn JDBC (important to know even if you're using an ORM), possibly Spring (Spring has a lot of functionality that makes working with DBs easier) and possibly an ORM like JPA, pure Hibernate, or one of the other solutions.

If you're asking which to learn, Hibernate or JBoss, learn Hibernate--while it's good to know specific application servers, it's not the most important thing to know.

It's "Tomcat", by the way, not "TomCat".

Hi David,

Thanks for your advice again. :D Hope that you are well.

What is ORM and JPA?

Also, do I still need to learn Buffer reader, Input Output stream etc since I'm using JDBC already to access database?

Bartender
Mac TypeScript Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

tangara goh wrote:What is ORM and JPA?

ORM: Object Relational Mapping, which is the main force (or the subject) behind the JPA (in general) or Hibernate (a more specific implementation) etc.. These make developers work easier by providing common libraries/features and automating some of the work based on configurations required for the persistence.
And JPA (Java Persistence API) is the standard API for persisting objects in Java which the various vendors implement. eg: Hibernate, TopLink etc... Note that most of the implementations have their native APIs (existed prior to the introduction of the JPA) for ORM.

Also, do I still need to learn Buffer reader, Input Output stream etc..

Those are Java features you should know if you work with Java.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic