• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

jdbc/mysql performance

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Not sure if anyone else has seen this problem but I've seen this happen multiple times and don't know how to fix it.

I have a java application that updates a mysql database thousands of times per second and a web client that reads it every few seconds. What I've noticed is that when the mySQL server is running on OSX, the program is much faster (by 4-5x) than if it's running on a Windows or Linux machine.

I've done many tests to isolate this problem -- running the Java app on the linux machine and the database on the mac vs both programs on Linux vs both on Mac, etc.. etc..

The funny thing is that my Linux box is uber-powerful.. much more powerful than my mac. I'm talking about an 8-core nehalem w/ HT vs a quad-core nehalem. I've installed multiple flavors of Linux on the 8-core too -- Ubuntu 32-bit, Cent-OS 64-bit and it's the same issue.

I've tried mimicking the config files on both machines but to no luck. Anyone know if this is a JDBC or JVM issue?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Personally I think the problem here is the operating system. Anyway, I found a guide to speed up a your web server. [removed]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic