• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tiles without Struts -- looking for resources

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I hope that the Spring Live promotion this week doesn't take over the whole forum

We're looking into taking Struts Tiles into use but without Struts itself and I'd love to avoid banging my head against a hard surface if someone else has done that already and would like to share her hard-earned wisdom... The thing is, I have already set up Tiles so that we can use it by defining pages and layouts in either a JSP page or an external XML configuration file, but I have no idea about what the "best practices" for a Tiles-only web application would be?

PS. We're stuck with the 1.1 version of Struts/Tiles if that's somehow significant with regard to these best practices I'm looking for.

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Lasse, have you dug through the tiles example war that came with the Struts distribution (can't remember the exact name right now and I don't have Struts handy)? There's some documentation and examples along with it if I remember correctly. I've looked at it, it looks like it's from Tiles in its pre-Struts days. It's not all that great (and some stuff didn't even compile) but it might be enough to get you going. Also, here's the Tiles project page which has a bunch of info.
[ October 27, 2004: Message edited by: Jason Menard ]

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, Jason. I had browsed through Dumoulin's website (the best resource so far) and did take a quick look at the Tiles examples within the Struts distribution but I have no idea whether they represent a good way to structure Tiles applications or whether they're written with a "Petstore" mentality, i.e. just to show different features in action.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic