• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JSF 1.2

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does anyone know when JSF 1.2 will be released? I am currently using JSF in most of my web development, however, I would like to see what improvements have been made (if any) with the framework. I think it is a great framework...just a bit rough around the edges at this time.

If anyone else is just beginning to use JSF, I recommend trying Oracle ADF Faces components as well. These are in EA stage at this time, but they offer rich UI components to help improve the overall JSF implementation.

I hope that JSF continues to evolve, that is why I am interested as to when 1.2 is scheduled for release. It seems that Oracle is one of the only entities really pushing along JSF at this moment.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It looks like the final draft is scheduled for January 2005 but the final release will occur at the time of the J2EE 5.0 release. Below is the release information for J2EE 5.0

May 2004 Expert group formed
Jun 2004 First expert draft
Aug 2004 Community review
Sep 2004 Public Review
Jan 2005 Proposed final draft
Mar 2005 RI beta release
Jul 2005 Final release

Information obtained from http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=244.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Josh Juneau:
If anyone else is just beginning to use JSF, I recommend trying Oracle ADF Faces components as well. These are in EA stage at this time, but they offer rich UI components to help improve the overall JSF implementation.

Can you explain more about ADF Faces components? how they improve overall JSF implementation?

Josh Juneau
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oracle ADF Faces components are simply additional components to be used within the JSF Framework. On top of additional components, ADF Faces adds some additional functionality...One nice feature of ADF Faces that comes to mind is the addition of PAGEFLOWSCOPE which allows variables to be placed into scope so that they are available when traversing from page to page without binding the variables to the backing bean. This allows for easier page navigation in some cases.

ADF Faces also implements substitutions for JSTL tags such as the <af:forEach> tag. There is a new tag within the latest version (I haven't tried it out yet) called POLL...it sounds useful: From Oracle - "This component polls the server periodically so that any dependent components get a chance to update themselves."

Take a look at the documentation on the latest release. There are many great features which I cannot explain here. I have been using these components since the EA7 release and they have worked out great for me.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/htdocs/partners/addins/exchange/jsf/index.html

Take care

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Beware getting too excited about ADF Faces, which is super cool, if you are stuck with Weblogic as an application server! Here is a hack to deploy adf faces to Weblogic 8.1 sp3, however:

http://jroller.com/comments/RickHigh/home/jsf_weblogic_8_1_sp3

Julia

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic