• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

scea 6

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does anyone know when will be made upgrade to scea 6 ?
Is there some information about this?

Thanks

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
probably not, JEE 5 and 6 are quite similar. So may be they will offer upgrade for JEE 7

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[quote]
probably not, JEE 5 and 6 are quite similar. So may be they will offer upgrade for JEE 7
[/quote]

Oh my god :-o

May I ask where you got this valuable piece of information from?

Don't want to start a flamewar here, but JEE 6 and JEE 6 are far far far away from being quite similar. CDI (context and dependency injection) is so new to the now-stateful JEE world, that JEE 6 is definitely a major change over JEE 5. Check and compare the Sun tutorials on JEE 5 and 6, and you'll notice a huge difference in the overall structure of what Sun considers worthwhile learning.

To answer the OP question, check this thread:
https://coderanch.com/t/502970/java-Architect-SCEA/certification/Java-EE-Certification-Exams

cheers,
Jan

ps: still baffled by the statement...

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan Groth wrote:

Oh my god

May I ask where you got this valuable piece of information from?

Don't want to start a flamewar here, but JEE 6 and JEE 6 are far far far away from being quite similar. CDI (context and dependency injection) is so new to the now-stateful JEE world, that JEE 6 is definitely a major change over JEE 5. Check and compare the Sun tutorials on JEE 5 and 6, and you'll notice a huge difference in the overall structure of what Sun considers worthwhile learning.

To answer the OP question, check this thread:
https://coderanch.com/t/502970/java-Architect-SCEA/certification/Java-EE-Certification-Exams

cheers,
Jan

ps: still baffled by the statement...

While there are undoubtedly changes between JEE6 and JEE5, those changes are primarily oriented around programming and API's. If there were no changes between JEE6 and JEE5, Sun would not have released a newer JEE version. However, from the perspective of SCEA, there are not that many changes that you can expect. In fact, many aspects of SCEA such as good architectural principles will never change regardless of the version of the JEE implementation that your architecture targets. I would even go to the extent of saying that one of the indicators of a good architecture is that it is not dependent on any specific implementation of the JEE platform. This however does not preclude a developer from using newer API's and feature sets from a more recent JEE version.

Coming back to SCEA, part 1 does not test your knowledge of the API's. Aspects such as design patterns are really JEE implementation agnostic, Part 2 is primarily about the creation of UML models and associated architectural artifacts that are not dependent on a particular JEE implementation. Part 3 just ensures that you did the part 2 on your own.

While I agree that there are significant changes between JEE5 and JEE6 from a developer's standpoint, there are few if any changes from an architectural and SCEA standpoint.

Jan Groth
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

While there are undoubtedly changes between JEE6 and JEE5, those changes are primarily oriented around programming and API's. If there were no changes between JEE6 and JEE5, Sun would not have released a newer JEE version. However, from the perspective of SCEA, there are not that many changes that you can expect. In fact, many aspects of SCEA such as good architectural principles will never change regardless of the version of the JEE implementation that your architecture targets. I would even go to the extent of saying that one of the indicators of a good architecture is that it is not dependent on any specific implementation of the JEE platform. This however does not preclude a developer from using newer API's and feature sets from a more recent JEE version.

Coming back to SCEA, part 1 does not test your knowledge of the API's. Aspects such as design patterns are really JEE implementation agnostic, Part 2 is primarily about the creation of UML models and associated architectural artifacts that are not dependent on a particular JEE implementation. Part 3 just ensures that you did the part 2 on your own.

While I agree that there are significant changes between JEE5 and JEE6 from a developer's standpoint, there are few if any changes from an architectural and SCEA standpoint.

Teja,

May I ask if you are aware of the functionality and consequences of the programming model around CDI (context and dependency injection)?

If I had one sentence to describe the changes from JEE 5 to JEE 6, I'd choose "JEE is turning stateful".

Stateful scopes (like the use-case orientated CDI conversation context) mix with container-controlled life cycle management (managed beans) to a truly stateful implementation of the dependency injection pattern. With CDI, enterprise components interact in a way that is absolutely new to JEE, while on the same time the overdue definition of a "managed bean" (don't mix it with JSF managed beans) lowers the barrier for a container-managed component. With JEE 6, you don't need EJBs in order to inject components or to intercept their method calls. You just use them if you _need_ the additional functionality of an application server (security, clustering, transaction, ...). A well-defined CDI-service point interface allows to integrate seamlessly with the container - something unique in the JEE world so far.

That was my first point, here's the second:

Many patterns still common in JEE 5 (and still part of the SCEA 5 exam) are motivated from technical inadequateness of J2EE - let me name the DAO pattern in representation of many other patterns, which are at least worth rethinking.
To make a long story short: A DAO had his justification in J2EE, when data access was a pain in the a.., and you simply needed a place to put the tons of SQL you wrote in order to implement persistence. Nowadays we have JPA and its persistence context, with operations like em.persist() und em.update().
Sure, you can still put this code in a class and call it MyDAO or so, and you can still adress persistence there. But I assure you that you'll find yourself delegating calls from myDao.persist() to em.persist() pretty much all the time.
My point is that many many patterns became basically obsolete with JEE (no '2' in it), but are still around in the heads of architects and developers. That book is worthwhile reading: http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Patterns-Rethinking-Practices/dp/0557078326

I have more points, but as I wrote earlier: I don't want to start a flame war here :-)

Having said this, I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion the JEE 6 does not change the way we develop software. From an architect's point of view, as well as from a developer's point of view.

Luckily Sun / Oracle seem to share this opinion, which lead them to the consequence to restructure the SCEA exam - contrary to what Tulu Singh seemed to know from some miraculous information source.

cheers,
Jan

Teja Saab
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Many of the concepts that you refer to as new have been around for a very long time though not as a part of the core JEE framework. Check out the Spring framework and its various modules. If you read my above post, I did acknowledge that there are differences between JEE 6 and JEE 5, but these differences do not get in the way of the SCEA certification as I pointed out. You will realize this once you complete your part 2 and part 3.

Jan Groth
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Teja Saab wrote:You will realize this once you complete your part 2 and part 3.

yes, i will go the long path to acquire the wisdom which keeps me from following your point :-)

but I'll certainly wait till Sun updated the SCEA certification to JEE 6 and hopefully wiped out a whole bunch of dusty J2EE artifacts...

cheers,
jan

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Fedora Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To be honest, I don't see any signs from Oracle to update this exam to JEE6.

Jan Groth
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jiafan Zhou wrote:To be honest, I don't see any signs from Oracle to update this exam to JEE6.

well, then you certainly missed the link I initially posted in this thread.

https://coderanch.com/t/502970/java-Architect-S...on/Java-EE-Certification-Exams

Jiafan Zhou
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Fedora Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan Groth wrote:

Jiafan Zhou wrote:To be honest, I don't see any signs from Oracle to update this exam to JEE6.

well, then you certainly missed the link I initially posted in this thread.

https://coderanch.com/t/502970/java-Architect-S...on/Java-EE-Certification-Exams

Well, I did check the link and saw that Oracle released a bunch of Java EE6 beta exams. Maybe I was not clear enough about my initial response. Surely Oracle made a move into the Java EE6 world, however, all the beta exams seem to be at the programming API levels.

JSF, JSP and servlets are the same thing as the existing SCWCD. EJB developer is the same as the existing SCBCD. I would believe that Oracle might replace the existing SCWCD and SCBCD to a new version 6 but I highly doubt that Oracle has any tendency to upgrade the SCEA 5 exam to SCEA 6 in the near future. Maybe it will be in one or two years later, but who knows. :-)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Marco Lombardo wrote:Does anyone know when will be made upgrade to scea 6 ?
Is there some information about this?

Thanks

I've got yesterday an invitation from Oracle to participate in SCEA 6 beta. The beta program will run till ~ mid-April.

If you already SCEA you may got an invite as well. I've got my SCEA during SCEA 5 beta program.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic