• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

xslt ,xpath, and xsl-fo?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Question 1)

I am currently learning alot of different xml technologies

I pretty much understand how .xsl and .xml files can be used to generate xhtml ,...etc using xslt
But what I am confused about is I am now looking at some really complex .xsl files that uses lines like this

I am wondering is the {$ } special characters in XPath since I read thru the tutorial on W3C on XPath and they only have
this for the characters for traversing nodes ,...etc
(don't see any thing to do with {} [] or $

Is this not the complete list of XPath characters for traversing nodes ?
I don't see anything in xsl-fo as well for $ ,...etc characters....?

Thanks for any assistance.

Sam Doder
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
All I need to know is if these $ are vaild xpath , or xsl-fo ,or xslt characters?

I think what is happening is they are running these xsl files into a java parser because I see they have included the saxon-jdom.jar , saxon.jar ,jdom,jar ,...etc into this project so...

Maybe the $ are some special characters for the java xml parser class's to parse with not sure if anyone has any ideal

like for example

seems to mean that this means the xml for this xsl would have something looking like this
<alert>
<test category="???m_esn???" >
</test>
</alert>

but $m_esn is confusing me since the xml files I am using with these xls files don't seem to have attributes with $tags?
Could it be some java saxon api special parsing character I never really got to indepth with parseing....

Also seems like most of the xml files are being dynamically built some how but haven't figured it out maybe the java is using this xsl files that have special java character syntax for the xml parser which files in the correct name of the $ attributes ...etc

Thanks for any help

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, that's why I don't recommend trying to learn a technology just by reading the w3schools "tutorial". All it does is to rehash the language components and it misses important things like, if you have <xsl:variable name="abc"> in your XSLT, then you refer to the value of that variable by "$abc" elsewhere in the XSLT. And other important things too.

Sam Doder
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Yeah, that's why I don't recommend trying to learn a technology just by reading the w3schools "tutorial". All it does is to rehash the language components and it misses important things like, if you have <xsl:variable name="abc"> in your XSLT, then you refer to the value of that variable by "$abc" elsewhere in the XSLT. And other important things too.

Thanks do you know any good resource on the internet that cover all the xslt tags/commands ...etc and how to use them... along with any special characters like $ that the w3c doesn't really touch on.

A few links would be great.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic