• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

singleton pattern

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I was recently asked this question: Create a singleton class which returns same object of that class itself everytime.
I know singleton class looks like this:

But i should not use a new operator like instance = new TestSingleton(); In short, my program should return same instance of same class everytime. Any pointers??

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is a clone() method defined in the java.lang.Object class which TestSingleton is inherited from.
By default, the clone() method is marked as protected, but if your TestSingleton extends another class
that does support cloning, it is possible to violate the design principles of the singleton.

So,we must add a clone() method of our own, and throw a CloneNotSupportedException ! for 100% certain that TestSingleton is a singleton
so we can modify it like this

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

nancy andrew wrote:I was recently asked this question: Create a singleton class which returns same object of that class itself everytime.
I know singleton class looks like this:

But i should not use a new operator like instance = new TestSingleton(); In short, my program should return same instance of same class everytime. Any pointers??

You have to use the new operator once to create the single instance that you are going to return every time for all future calls to getInstance.
Your code is generally correct although it could have problems in a multithreaded environment. You need to either make your getInstance method synchronized or initialise the instance variable at the same time as you declare it.
Search these forums for examples of how it should be done.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

additionally, *use double-check technique* instead of adding a synchronized key word infornt of getInstance method's modifier. I believe below code is bit better in terms of performance.

hth

vijin das
Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
sharing wiki link which says more about it..
check wiki

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nancy,

There also are environments where mutiple class loaders can lead to more than one instance.

Thread safety during creation is also a conern.

I would also suggest you to learn where you can use "volatile" & "ThreadLocal" as
not every requirement completely maps to a singleton pattern to be implemented.

The link provided by Vijin is very helpful & do check Bill Pugh's solution provided on the wiki.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Seetharaman Venkatasamy wrote:....
additionally, *use double-check technique* instead of adding a synchronized key word infornt of getInstance method's modifier. ....
....hth

Seetharaman, double-check technique is bad. Specially when it is used with any version upto Java 1.4. It gives you false feeling that code is thread safe but it is not. However 1.5 modified the way objects are created and hence made double-check safe. But if you don't want your code version dependent, use method mentioned by "Joanne Neal". They are in a way fool-proof (of couse they are NOT 100% as reflection and manipulation with classloader instance allows multiple instances of singleton).

Please read this. This explain the exact problem and it's solution: http://www.javamex.com/tutorials/double_checked_locking.shtml

Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, understand . thanks
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic