• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Has "Event Process in Action" something to do with AOP (Aspect Oriented Programming)?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'd like to know if "Event Process in Action" has something to do with AOP (Aspect Oriented Programming).

Thank you

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The idea is indeed in the spirit of AOP; providing different way to implement certain functions not in conventional programming.

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't see any relation at all; could you elaborate on how they're similar? Thanks!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Newton wrote:I don't see any relation at all; could you elaborate on how they're similar? Thanks!

Perhaps in the sense that the rules and actions are "around" the events, versus the actual events themselves. You have various observers keyed to the lifecycle of the event and execute logic upon those, rather than necessarily specifically on the event.

The events are "ignorant" of the logic, the processing system is firing logic as the events go by.

In a similar manner, but perhaps reversed manner, in AOP the logic is ignorant of the aspects. AOP is all about instrumenting the runtime to get your aspect logic injected in to the function call flow of the application, much like event processing is based on the event flow.

Perhaps it's a reach, but in the right light, you can perhaps see how they're similar.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, I realized after posting that there's a lot of around and processing chains that are AOP-like; I didn't get around to following up. Thanks!

Opher Etzion
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The principle in event processing is that there are "event producers", "event consumers" and "event processing agents". There is a separation principle here, in the sense that they are independent - an event producer does not know what processing is done with the events it produces, and an event processing agent is totally independent both from the producer and consumer. This total independence of each component has some similarity to the idea of AOP

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic