• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Not much Android in the book. Ok, so where so we go.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeff

The title of the book would lead me to believe there is a lot of Android coverage, at least more than one small example. It looks like you've answered the question many times on how your book is still relevent. I am an experienced java programmer but I would still like to read your book. But until I either win or buy a copy, I'd like to get started writing Andriod apps in Java. Where should I go to get started?

Best Regards,
Tom Cervenka

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Tom,

Last year, I started to learn Android by checking out Google's Android Developer's Guide. I've done alot of reading at this site and have learned much about Android from this material.

The result of my journey into this documentation was the creation of a pair of articles for my website: Android Activity Lifecycle and Hello, Android!

Yesterday, I encountered a very interesting video of Google's Dan Morrill discussing Android technical features (such as activities, apks, content providers, services, intents, and so on) and why things are the way they are. Dan's Inside the Android Application Framework video is from the 2008 Google I/O conference. I've watched this video and much (if not all) of it appears to be still relevant. I recommend that you check it out.

I am currently working on a book on Android development for Apress. However, it will take a few months before this book project is complete.

All the best.

Jeff
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic