• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Some industrial terms need to be understood

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I am a fresher in IT industry. I have heard few software development words like " development, Integrated System Test environment, System Test environment, User Acceptance environment, Production Environment " Performance Test

I need to understand the correct sequence of above environments. Example, when does the IST environment comes into picture. when does UAT comes into picture.

Typically what I understood is the below sequence. Please correct me if I am wrong

Dev -> Integrated System Test -> System Test (Staging) -> User Acceptance Testing (UAT environment) -> Production

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We don't use the term "Integrated System Test" (we do use Integration Test so I assume it is the same thing.) I agree with your order.

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good luck, jazy. I agree with your order as well. Unfortunately some of the industrial terms you'll come across will have dubious meanings. The best thing you can do is work for a place that clearly defines what all these "industrial terms" mean -- because believe me, they will mean different things to different people. I recently received an email from a customer that had a virtual flurry (no, better categorized as a blizzard) of all the testing buzzwords: unit testing, acceptance testing, system testing, functional testing, and blah blah. The customer wanted to make sure we were doing all these things.

At my place, we have Test Levels to define the scope of the test:
  • System Test
  • Integration Test
  • Focused Test
  • Unit Test

• Then, we have Test Types to describe the objective of the test:
  • Functional Testing
  • Performance Testing
  • Usability Testing
  • Compliance Testing
  • Security Testing
  • Acceptance Testing

• So, in a nutshell, we use Test Levels to define "how much" of the system we are going to test; and we use Test Types to define "what" we are going to test for. This might seem complicated, but when you have customers sending emails based on industrial buzzwords, it's important to establish a common vocabulary (all part of managing expectations).

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic