• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Steps to make a J2EE project LIVE on internet

Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I am making a small project using J2EE technology for learning purpose.
For my personal intrest I want to make it LIVE on Internet. Actually I want people to use this project as a utility.

I am using :
Java, JSPs, Servlets, Simple beans (NO EJB), Tomcat 6.0 , JDK 1.5 and MYSQL as a DataBase.

It should have :
- Mail server to send the automatic mails at regular interval.
- I should be able to configure Schedulers which will execute java files.

Uptill now I have not uploaded anything on internet except some HTML pages. That too on free web hosting websites.

As per my understanding, to make my project LIVE on Internet, I need to do the following things :

- Purchase a Domain Name.
- Purchase WebSpace from some web-hosting company.
- Install Tomcat 6.0, JDK 1.5 and MYSQL. And configure them exactly as I have done on my PC.
- Configure the schedulars.
- Configure the mail server.
- After configuration I have to start the Tomcat server, MYSQL server and mail server.
- Configure the 'Domain Name' to the web-space provided by web-hosting company. ( It should be done by web-hosting company)
- Then I have to distribute the Domain name to my friend so that they can use it.

Maintenance part :
- To check the Tomcat Server logs on regular basis.
- To check the DB Server logs on regular basis.
- To take the regular back-up of DB data.

Queries :

- As I need to send the mails so I require a mail server. Whether web hosting company will provide this mail server or Just like Tomcat and MYSQL I will have to use some Open source mail server.
- If I have to use some Open source mail server, please suggest the same.

Please suggest If I have missed any thing in above mentioned list as I am completly new to this field of web-hosting and J2EE .

Many thanks for your suggestions !!

Regds
-Vivek

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

- Install Tomcat 6.0, JDK 1.5 and MYSQL.

I'd advise not to purchase a plan that provides nothing but a bare-bones machine where you have to install all this. It may even be cheaper to use a plan where all this is pre-installed, since in that case the hosting company has an easier time monitoring the server because it's a standard setup.

Whether web hosting company will provide this mail server

Most Java hosting plans will include this. Not the very cheapest ones, but anything that's around $15/month or more will include a mail server.

You may wish to look at a few different hosting companies, just to get a feel of what they offer and charge: http://faq.javaranch.com/java/ServletsFaq#hosting
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic