• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is "Beginning Java Objects" by Jacquie Barker still recommended or considered outdated?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

The second edition of this book was published in 2005.

Here's the scoop:
I've been through the HF Java book. I'm ok with basic syntax - but not feeling grounded with OO concepts.

A little more background - I'm considering using this book for a study group at work. I currently program on a midrange system - procedural programming. The proprietary language is being dumped in favor of java.

I'm trying to translate my years of green screen to java objects/classes - and so far I feel like I'm missing the boat.

If this book would be considered outdated - is there any other text/program that would be recommended?

Thanks.
Vic

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch!

I have not used "Beginning Java Objects" before but I thought since no one had responded yet I would give my two-cents. Java Ranch has a great resource of book reviews at The Bunkhouse and there is a forum dedicated to Java books as well.

If you are looking for a book to go through OO concepts mixed with some Design Patterns as well as just general tips and good practices in Java I highly recommend "Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is a review of that book on the Bunkhouse page you quoted.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Wilson,

Perhaps you could try "Effective Java" by Joshua Blotch, which I believe will help you gain insights on using the Java effectively, OO style.

Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Java family
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic