• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams (Exam 310-065) (Certification Press)

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Bert Bates, Katherine Sierra
Publisher   : McGraw-Hill Osborne Media
Category   : Java Certification
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating        : 9 horseshoes

Disclosure: I was one of the tech reviewers of this book so I'm probably biased. I'm reviewing it anyway and saying *why* I liked things.

1) Lots of questions
2) Clear explanations
3) Advice on how to study
4) Similar looking problems that test different things so your brain doesn't memorize "the answer is 'a' as fast"
5) Harder questions than are on the test and a mapping to to how it would relate to an actual score.

Note this is not like the thick SCJP book that is a study guide to the exam. This book is virtually all practice exams.

More info at Amazon.com

Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Does this book have any master exams along with it as there were in the scjp6 study guide and secondly is it available in India??

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Basically the book is nothing but master exams

There are two short exams and four complete, 60 question master exams. It's all on paper though, there is no CD. As far as I know, the book is available in India. Also, you can buy a Kindle version.

hth,

Bert

Ranch Hand
Android PHP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
while i loved the study guide, this purchase was quite dissapointing The exams where extremely hard in comparison to the Real exam and i have to admit that i lost the fun after the first two tests and didnt continue to read it. Maybe it was a motivational problem from myself, so take this with a grain of salt.

The Advices besides the test exams where good and well written but alone for me it wasnt worth the money. If you are hardcore about the exam go for it

(i apologize if this review sounds rude, the authors did a great job on the study guide and im very thankful for them:) )

Ranch Hand
Scala Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Torsten Oppermann wrote:while i loved the study guide, this purchase was quite dissapointing The exams where extremely hard in comparison to the Real exam and i have to admit that i lost the fun after the first two tests and didnt continue to read it. Maybe it was a motivational problem from myself, so take this with a grain of salt.

The Advices besides the test exams where good and well written but alone for me it wasnt worth the money. If you are hardcore about the exam go for it

(i apologize if this review sounds rude, the authors did a great job on the study guide and im very thankful for them:) )

I'm really disappointed with my performance in assessment tests. Is the real exam easy or you're saying that just for the sake of it?

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I shall try duplicating this discussion in the exam forum in the hope that you will get useful answers there.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sidharth Khattri wrote:I'm really disappointed with my performance in assessment tests. Is the real exam easy or you're saying that just for the sake of it?

No the real OCJP 6 exam is not easy. It's that the practice exams are designed to be harder than the real exam to "toughen you up".

Sidharth Khattri
Ranch Hand
Scala Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:

Sidharth Khattri wrote:I'm really disappointed with my performance in assessment tests. Is the real exam easy or you're saying that just for the sake of it?

No the real OCJP 6 exam is not easy. It's that the practice exams are designed to be harder than the real exam to "toughen you up".

So I can conclude that the real exam is relatively easier than the questions in this book that will toughen me up.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sidharth Khattri wrote:So I can conclude that the real exam is relatively easier than the questions in this book that will toughen me up.

Yes. With the disclaimer that the first test or two are easier. Each exam has an "analyze your results" section which maps how you do on the practice exam to roughly how that relates to the real exam.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic