• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

about intermediary and ultimate receiver

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi i am very new to webservices.I am getting more confusion about intermediary and ultimate receiver.I have implemented a small application in that i will send a soap request to documentium web service to generate PDF.

java system--------------->Documentium System(service)

As per my knowledge Documentium System is ultimate receiver.correct?As per my understanding intermediary will reside in between and sender and ultimate receiver.Below one is my view about intermediary

javasystem------>webservice1(intermediary)------->webservice2(intermediary)------->Documentium service(Ultimate receiver)

is above representation correct?will intermediary and ultimate receiver reside in same system?what i am asking is

javasystem------------>Documentium service(intermediary+ultimatereceiver)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi!
Your understanding seems correct to me.
The only doubt I have is that an ultimate receiver is never an intermediary.
In your case, you only have one ultimate receiver, the documentium service.
Best wishes!

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I apologize for poking my nose here...

But I was just curious to know, if the intermediaries need to be another webservices (like JAX-WS or some other way). I thought, the intermediaries are the handlers which basically implement either LogicalHandler or SOAPHandler (in the case of SOAPBinding). Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Ivan Krizsan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi!
Good question!
Web service intermediaries can be, for instance, an ESB that routes web service requests to the appropriate recipient(s), a queue that stores requests for later processing etc. These are more standalone applications that may exist relatively independent of a web service or web service client.
Personally, I see handlers as filters or AOP-for-webservices, being part of a web service or web service client.
Best wishes!

Kumar Raja
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ivan Krizsan wrote:Hi!
Good question!
Web service intermediaries can be, for instance, an ESB that routes web service requests to the appropriate recipient(s), a queue that stores requests for later processing etc. These are more standalone applications that may exist relatively independent of a web service or web service client.
Personally, I see handlers as filters or AOP-for-webservices, being part of a web service or web service client.
Best wishes!

Thanks Ivan and also from the diagram given in Service End Point Design, Flow of WebService, the handlers at server side are listed between webservice port and webservice end point. From the explanation above, ESB or Queues must be residing before reaching the port of webservice. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kumar,

Interestingly, the chapter you referred to, doesn't mention the intermediary word/concept...

Regards,
Dan

Kumar Raja
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Dan Drillich wrote:Kumar,

Interestingly, the chapter you referred to, doesn't mention the intermediary word/concept...

Regards,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes the chapter did not talk about intermediary, but I was trying to correlate the thread's topic and my understanding from the chapter. Basically I was trying to map what I read in the chapter with what is being discussed in this thread.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic