• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ext JS

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I had a look through the sample chapters through the book "Ext JS in Action" by Jesus Garcia and the content looks rather exciting. I'm currently working with Java for servlets and application as well as JSP and Javascript for web applications. From what I have seen in the sample chapters, it seems that Ext JS is a combination of Java and Javascript which would be a good news for a programmer like me.

Apart from that, the cross-browser functionality would be great so that no customization is required for different target users and browsers.

I would like to know, is Ext JS considered as client-side or server-side? Does the user need to install any program/software to run Ext JS application?
Apart from that, is the syntax similar to Javascript or Java?

I haven't had much time to go through Ext JS but from I've read, it seems to be very interesting

Thank you.

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Lilian Chase wrote:From what I have seen in the sample chapters, it seems that Ext JS is a combination of Java and Javascript

Is it really a combination? Or just the syntax looks similar?

Lilian Chase
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't had time to sit down and look over the documentation for Ext JS, but the components such as Container, Panel, CardLayout etc is pretty similar to Java.

Anyone with experience with Ext JS that can clarify this? Thank you.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Lilian Chase wrote:I haven't had time to sit down and look over the documentation for Ext JS, but the components such as Container, Panel, CardLayout etc is pretty similar to Java.

Anyone with experience with Ext JS that can clarify this? Thank you.

Actually the ExtJS is "just" a JavaScript library (and with "just" I mean that it only uses JavaScript), you have also the Ext GWT which is a Java library for creating Ext JS Components.

Greenhorn
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ExtJS is an combination of HTML, JavaScript and CSS. It has its own coding standard.

ExtJS doesn't implement JAVA code. It is just a client side scripting. We need to write ExtJS code inside .js file extension.

You are right it has several panel and viewport to create a web based application but it is not JAVA. As far as i know, in ExtJS You cant implement stand alone application.

Client don't need to install anything in their side.

Albareto McKenzie
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

sureshkumar settu wrote:ExtJS is an combination of HTML, JavaScript and CSS. It has its own coding standard.

ExtJS doesn't implement JAVA code. It is just a client side scripting. We need to write ExtJS code inside .js file extension.

You are right it has several panel and viewport to create a web based application but it is not JAVA. As far as i know, in ExtJS You cant implement stand alone application.

Client don't need to install anything in their side.

I wouldn't say that, I think is more correct to say that ExtJS is a JavaScript framework that generates html, actually you don't have html files in the framework itself as far as I know, of course it uses CSS as it is generating html, as it is using also images but it is meant to beautify the output.
About the coding standard I think it doesn't have a coding standard itself, it's JavaScript code, what it has is a configuration standard, you have your JSON Objects and you set them up through the ExtJS standars but you can also create your own classes and add functions there (or add them directly to the ExtJS classes) and they are normal JavaScript functions. I don't know if what I am trying to say is clear, it's maybe a semantics difference.

I think you can implement stand alone applications with ExtJS but then, where do you get the data from? You would have to get it from static files or static arrays or whatever which means that your application will be static or (in the best case) not reusable.

sureshkumar settu
Greenhorn
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes you may be right. I am new to EXTJS.

Coding standard is not the same as java script. you are right, it uses JSON object for config.

Can you tell me the better way to learn depth in EXTJS. It is very attractive. I am learning a lot in sencha.com still i feel difficult. can you guide me where i can learn better

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

sureshkumar settu wrote:Yes you may be right. I am new to EXTJS.

Coding standard is not the same as java script. you are right, it uses JSON object for config.

Can you tell me the better way to learn depth in EXTJS. It is very attractive. I am learning a lot in sencha.com still i feel difficult. can you guide me where i can learn better

If you're new to JavaScript, know that it is not Java + Script, it's actually its own scripting language (ECMA Script).

Ext JS helped introduce java-like pseudo-classical inheritance into JavaScript. It also introduced swing-like observable and component models into a UI library that implements CSS and HTML. The *best* way to learn is to simply dig into the examples, but never take example code into production. Example code is meant to teach the framework. This is what the last section of my book are dedicated to - developing applications in a way that is scalable and maintainable.

I have some screencasts available at http://tdg-i.com, if anyone is interested in listening to me ramble.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic