• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need proof for Modifying a String Object will result in creation of a new Object under Heap

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ,

How can i prove that , Modifying a String Object will result in creation of a new Object under Heap . Please suggest , Thanks .

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
String objects are immutable - there is no way to modify a String object. The way you phrased the question is incorrect.

All methods in class String that do something with the content of the string, do not modify the original string - instead, they return a new String object that contains the modified content of the original string.

To prove this, look at the API documentation of class java.lang.String or look at the source code (which you can find in the file src.zip in your JDK installation directory), you will find that there are no methods in the class that modify the content of a String object.

Ravi Kiran Va
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the answer .

Yes you were right the question itself is wrong .

I actually wanted to to print the memory Locations of a String Object being created using hashcode ( i was not successfull , as i could able to print only the reference of the String location which is always the same )

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you go through the documentation for String#hashCode, Object#hashCode() and System#identityHashCode(), you will find whether it is possible to find the memory location or not.

"I know this defies the law of gravity... but I never studied law." -B. Bunny Defiant tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic