• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Hour 17:Creating Interactive Web Programs - Java in 24 hours

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am running the SalutonApplet.html - that calls the app let - I get the You Need a java enabled browser to see this' message - I run IE 8, how do I make this Java enabled ?

Thanks in advance.

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Install a JRE, and check your menus to make sure Java is enabled. I don't know where it is in IE8, but somewhere there is a preferences menu that allows you to enable things like Java, Javascript, Flash, ActiveX, etc... You will need to find that menu item and make sure Java is enabled.

Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Steve Luke wrote:Install a JRE, and check your menus to make sure Java is enabled. I don't know where it is in IE8, but somewhere there is a preferences menu that allows you to enable things like Java, Javascript, Flash, ActiveX, etc... You will need to find that menu item and make sure Java is enabled.

Thanks Steve - I installed the JDK that included the JRE - but how do I test to be sure it is installed. For example (running w7), when I go to the control panel , the Java icon is 'empty. When I go to an internet site that is laden with java applets, it displays, slowly, but it displays. When I run my java programs (java myprogram) , they run.

Am going to look for that preference menu now. And many thanks.

After the applet runs, a white box appears with 'error' I click on that and probably 20 seconds later a box appears with what appears to be helpful information, and then it closes - ?

Steve Luke
Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am not too familiar with IE, but you may need to install the JRE plugin for the web page independently of the JRE you download as part of the Java installation. The plugin is the bridge between the browser and JRE. My suggestion would be to visit www.java.com and do the install from inside IE - to make sure the plugin that installs is appropriate for your browser.

Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Steve Luke wrote:I am not too familiar with IE, but you may need to install the JRE plugin for the web page independently of the JRE you download as part of the Java installation. The plugin is the bridge between the browser and JRE. My suggestion would be to visit www.java.com and do the install from inside IE - to make sure the plugin that installs is appropriate for your browser.

Thanks, I will give it a try. What do you use for your browser?

Steve Luke
Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Don Schwirtlich wrote:
After the applet runs, a white box appears with 'error' I click on that and probably 20 seconds later a box appears with what appears to be helpful information, and then it closes - ?

Sorry - no clue. If IE8 has a Java Console, then see if the error shows up there. If not, then use a different browser which does have a Java Console (FireFox, Chrome) because it makes debugging these things much easier.

Steve Luke
Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Don Schwirtlich wrote:

I use a combination of Firefox, Chrome, sometimes Safari, and IE6 when I must (for work only, IT only supports IE6 'cause internal apps don't work on other browsers).

Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Steve Luke wrote:

Don Schwirtlich wrote:

I use a combination of Firefox, Chrome, sometimes Safari, and IE6 when I must (for work only, IT only supports IE6 'cause internal apps don't work on other browsers).

I have my path statement in my autoexec.bat file, but when I restart w7, i cant use my java or javac commands until i manually execute my autoexec.bat file. Any ideas why?
And there is a setting somewhere I am supposed to setup for Java to run properly - I remember it from when I started on this java direction - Im sure thats the reason for these issues - do you have any ideas ? Thanks.

Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Don Schwirtlich wrote:

Steve Luke wrote:

Don Schwirtlich wrote:

I have my path statement in my autoexec.bat file, but when I restart w7, i cant use my java or javac commands until i manually execute my autoexec.bat file. Any ideas why?
And there is a setting somewhere I am supposed to setup for Java to run properly - I remember it from when I started on this java direction - Im sure thats the reason for these issues - do you have any ideas ? Thanks.

Where are settings for Java ?

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Don,

In Vista you go to the control panel, then you will see an extra java button.Click that then click the far right hand tab and you will see "Standard Java for Browser" and then a check box for IE, see if that is checked or not.
Not sure if that is the problem or not but maybe it will help.

Mike

Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

mike ryan wrote:Hi Don,

In Vista you go to the control panel, then you will see an extra java button.Click that then click the far right hand tab and you will see "Standard Java for Browser" and then a check box for IE, see if that is checked or not.
Not sure if that is the problem or not but maybe it will help.

Mike

Mike, here in W7, in the control panel, there is a icon for Java. However when I click it, I get "Application Not Found". ??

mike ryan
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sounds like your environment settings are not correct or not set properly but i am no expert.Maybe Download Firefox and see if it works with that.
If not then you maybe need to check your JAVA_HOME and path settings in the environment settings.

Mike

Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

mike ryan wrote:Sounds like your environment settings are not correct or not set properly but i am no expert.Maybe Download Firefox and see if it works with that.
If not then you maybe need to check your JAVA_HOME and path settings in the environment settings.

Mike

Mike, when I started with Java , i found a thread here on setting your system up. I followed it, and all was good until I encountered the infamous Error 1937 or 1793 or whatever it was. Now, I cant find that thread or documentation about setting these things up - for example, what is the JAVA_HOME settings supposed to be and where is a good place to find those docs. Thanks much.

Don

mike ryan
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Don,

here ya go!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic