• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Windows 7 response

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
For the past several years I have a JSP (working with MVC) using sun.misc.BASE64Decoder for NTLM Authentication to fetch Intranet Windows Username for anyone who is using a workstation with Windows XP.
I use Tomcat 6 on a Windows server and everything worked great.
Recently some of our workstations have been upgraded to Windows 7. The Windows 7 workstations now show the following message on my JSP that is attempting to get the Intranet Windows Username: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

No other error message and nothing in Tomcat logs on the server. Has anyone else had this issue with Windows 7 and NTLM Authentication?
Please advise.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Which version of NTLM were you relying on? Pre-Windows 7 Windows allowed the very insecure NTLMv1 by default and you had to manually configure the OS to use the only slightly more secure NTLM v2. Now Windows uses v2 by default, and I think recommends Kerberos instead.

Ed Carrington
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Sturrock wrote:Which version of NTLM were you relying on? Pre-Windows 7 Windows allowed the very insecure NTLMv1 by default and you had to manually configure the OS to use the only slightly more secure NTLM v2. Now Windows uses v2 by default, and I think recommends Kerberos instead.

What do I need to do with Kerberos to help me solve the issue? I assume I need to find an equal decoder similiar to sun.misc.BASE64Decoder for NTLM Authentication.
Probably Apache Codec could help but not sure where or what to use that would work with NTLM v2.

Please advise.

Thanks
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic