• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Netbeans and Eclipse users - I'd like your input for my university project

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all and thank you for your time,

I'll just come out and say it (despite it's obviousness) - but I'm new here!

Anyway, lets get to the reason of my topic:

I'm doing my final year Computer Science project at the University of Hertfordshire (UK) - I can provide more details if needed, although I'd naturally rather refrain from doing so. My assignment is to pretty much compare the Netbeans IDe and Eclipse IDE (in terms of java-development features that I've identified from articles). One of the final parts of this project demands that I carry out a survey of sorts to gain opinions from those that have used both IDEs.

Therefore I would be extremely grateful if any of you (that have used them) would be able to take my ultra-basic survey on the matter:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFh0YVFLeDdKMDNGMjRnWkZzbGU0Ymc6MQ

If you would like to give your opinion on the survey and the IDEs in general, that would be very interesting too.

So far, it seems that the Netbeans IDE is currently the better choice (especially for teams of developers) - due to its simplicity and built-in features. However, Eclipse seems like it has way more potential through the sheer mass of plug-ins available for it - although I question how much of that is relevent to Java development.

Yes, I'm a complete newbie about these tools, but I believe that's to be expected from us.

Many thanks.

P.S. If there are better places to ask this (even on this site), please let me know!

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch.
One small question. Why the scale of 1-7? Usually its customary to provide a scale of 1-10. From the user's perspective, it is easier to mentally compute/convert the scale to percentage that way.

James Hammond
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:Welcome to the Ranch.
One small question. Why the scale of 1-7? Usually its customary to provide a scale of 1-10. From the user's perspective, it is easier to mentally compute/convert the scale to percentage that way.

First of all, thank you very much.

Secondly, my tutor advised it - he briefly explained why but I've already forgot. Yeah, I can imagine this being more awkward for me to convert than 0-10. Infact I think I even suggested doing 0-10 in the first place...

Regardless, at the very least, the bar-chat summaries that I can currently see are already pretty useful in themselves.

Oh yeah, my friend that is doing the assignment a very similar way was also instructed to use a different measurement system - so maybe our tutor (yeah, same guy) doesn't want those doing the assignment to be doing it too similarly...or something like that.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:Welcome to the Ranch.

Agree / Disagree surveys use an odd number (1-5 usually but in this case 1-7), the participant cannot agree nor disagree if it used a scale of 1-10 or any even scale.

Anyway I did not fill in the survey because I only used netbeans a few times and I'd be quite bi-assed towards eclipse. If you want my opinion on why I don't use netbeans, its simply because I don't like the UI and I really like the eclipse one.

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Filled your survey, but Why all the Q's were is XXX better in eclipse than nb ?
You can find out those by trying it out yourself. Take any sample application for that matter.

Earlier (during my student days) I was heavily into netbeans, but now in my shop, only eclipse is used (computers don't have much memory), so am using eclipse.

Also, try reading their documentations and guidebooks to find out more

James Hammond
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Many thanks for taking the survey and I'll be using that opinion of yours.

As for "xxx is better than xxx statements", that's how EBSE (Evidence-based-software-engineering) works.

And yes, I'll be using both tools myself.

What I'll be doing is forming an argument for either/both tools based on Articles, the results of this survey, AND my own experiences. Although I'll be weighing more towards the opinions of others as I'm a total newbie to this stuff.

snakes are really good at eating slugs. And you wouldn't think it, but so are tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic