• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Copying array issue

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The below snippet of code throws a nullPointerException but if I replace with the following snippet of code it "works" but the array points to the array passed in and that's no good because the array coming in needs to change on each call. How can I effectively copy the array into the instance array lineCoords?

Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you look at the documentation for arraycopy, you'll see that you can't pass a null value in for the array. You've got to create the array first (at the size you want). If you think about it, that has to be the case as you're passing the reference by value. If you pass null in, it can't possibly result in lineCoords pointing at a new object.

However, I suggest you check Arrays.copyOf instead, as that will create the array for you.

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are sure about the size of the array you want to pass, you could just make aan array of that size, make lineCoords, point to it, and then copy the elements of coords to it. Although its is a bit cumbersome, I beleive their must be easier methods...

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No need to do the copying yourself when methods already exist to do so, Matthew's suggestion is a good idea.

Hunter

I claim this furniture in the name of The Ottoman Empire! You can keep this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic