• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Programming Advice

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone,

I just graduated from college from a school that primarily used Java for all of its teaching and projects. I feel as if I know Java pretty well, however I see posts online in blogs and on this from aspects of Java that I don't understand or have little to no experience with (i.e. Spring, Hibernate, JDBC, Servlets, JSP). I was hoping for some advice on where to go to find projects to work on in these topics. I am a very task driven person, so just reading about these online won't be enough I need to be working through a project of some sort.

Other topics of interest for me: AI, Jess, Python, Haskell

Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Hunter

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
You could invent a small project for yourself to work on. For example, a simple web shop application. You could make it as small or as big as you want, and in something like that you could make use of lots of different technologies such as Spring, Hibernate, web app frameworks, etc.

There used to be the Java Pet Store example application for Java EE which was an online pet store. I don't know if it has been updated to the latest Java EE.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic