• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How the "more experienced, more mature, smarter" (aka 'old') stay as healthy as possible

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

How do you guys (considerably 'adult' already, e.g. >40 years old, or you may call 'like a finer wine'), try to stay healthy?

I am thinking that a possible ultimate strategy is: swimming + trampoline + stationary bike.

No considerable impact at all, is created, if any.

In between java, software, and android, what do you do to exercise?

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesus Angeles wrote:No considerable impact at all, is created, if any.

What do you mean, that swimming + trampoline + stationary bike doesn't really help?

In my experience even a little exercise is much better than no exercise at all. I have a fitness club at 5 minutes walking distance from my home, every Saturday morning I go there for at least an hour of training. Most of the time I do body pump, which is a group lesson in which you train all your muscles (legs, breast, arms, back, shoulders, abs). I feel it's really necessary for me to do this because I'm sitting behind a desk almost the whole day every day. Exercise, even a little, doesn't only make you feel physically more fit, but also mentally.

I'm going to be 40 in a few months...

Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:

Jesus Angeles wrote:No considerable impact at all, is created, if any.

What do you mean, that swimming + trampoline + stationary bike doesn't really help?

In my experience even a little exercise is much better than no exercise at all. I have a fitness club at 5 minutes walking distance from my home, every Saturday morning I go there for at least an hour of training. Most of the time I do body pump, which is a group lesson in which you train all your muscles (legs, breast, arms, back, shoulders, abs). I feel it's really necessary for me to do this because I'm sitting behind a desk almost the whole day every day. Exercise, even a little, doesn't only make you feel physically more fit, but also mentally.

I'm going to be 40 in a few months...

I'm also turning 40 in a few months.

What I mean by 'no impact', is that 'impact' is bad, for oldies. Those 3 are good because they do a lot, without posing any harm to our joints, etc.

I agree that exercise helps. I ran 25km last weekend, and since yesterday, I didnt need any coffee to stay awake and productive at work (software developer too). It hurted a lot on the leg muscles and toes, and the only reason I would do it again, is just for the 'feeling of accomplishment', not for health.

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I always ensure, at a minimum, I do Surya Namaskars daily. That is a must for me.

Otherwise my full schedule includes
Surya Namaskars
Very brisk walk for almost 30 minutes up and down a hill
Workout at home (Gyms are not for me)

Edit: I am 40+

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesus Angeles wrote:What I mean by 'no impact', is that 'impact' is bad, for oldies. Those 3 are good because they do a lot, without posing any harm to our joints, etc.

Oh, that's what you mean by 'impact', the word can have different meanings... Indeed, running has a big impact on your joints, especially your knees.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I walk 2 miles daily. I'll be 54 in October.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:I always ensure, at a minimum, I do Surya Namaskars daily. That is a must for me.

I had cervical disc prolapse and no matter what I did I used to have this nerve racking neck pain.
Guess what, Surya Namaskar did the trick. I'm relived now. I don't miss doing it everyday morning.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:Indeed, running has a big impact on your joints, especially your knees.

You did not mean -ve impact, did you? Because if you have healthy food everyday, running should not have adverse effect on your joints. Any exercise done improperly has adverse effect.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah well first, I do not do anything with computers in my free time. This way I have less chance getting RSI, pain in shoulder-, arm- and neck muscles for being in the same 'behind the computer' position all the time.

Second I bike to the train station. (45 minutes one way, one and a half hour in total, daily, saves money too.)

Third, I do sports 3 times a week, two times jogging, one time fitness.

Last, and the most difficult part, I never ever eat nor sugar nor reheated grease (no fries, no hamburgers, no fast food).

Ah, to add, I am 46.

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Saurabh, I don't run myself, so I actually don't know much about it. But I've heard often from other people that running is hard on your joints, everytime your feet hit the ground your knees and ankles get a shock.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:Saurabh, I don't run myself, so I actually don't know much about it. But I've heard often from other people that running is hard on your joints, everytime your feet hit the ground your knees and ankles get a shock.

Jesper you are right! It is a fairytale that sport is good for your health and gives you more energy. I do sports to keep being attractive to the other side, not for my health. Sometimes, I am that tired from exercise, my work pace suffers from it. Nothing will give you more energy then just put unlimited amounts of sugar in your mouth. Only the plus on energy you don't use gets stowed up in your belly.

Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think we have a marathon runner (and sheriff) on JR.

Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:Ah well first, I do not do anything with computers in my free time. This way I have less chance getting RSI, pain in shoulder-, arm- and neck muscles for being in the same 'behind the computer' position all the time.

Second I bike to the train station. (45 minutes one way, one and a half hour in total, daily, saves money too.)

Third, I do sports 3 times a week, two times jogging, one time fitness.

Last, and the most difficult part, I never ever eat nor sugar nor reheated grease (no fries, no hamburgers, no fast food).

Ah, to add, I am 46.

Good for you.

2 weeks ago, I decided to do: trampoline+stationary bike+swimming.

I had all the time to do. But the same story went. I was lazy.

So I signed up for another half-marathon, just to force myself to go.

I think, for some reason, if I enrolled or something, it kicks my ass to stand up and attend.

I am thinking of enrolling to a taekwondo class, again, just so that I am forced to do it.

If I leave myself to: do it, yourself, do 'trampoline+stationary bike+swimming', I think Ill grow plants on me, before I lift a finger.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah, if you are looking for force, I'd advice to go to work on your bicycle. If that is possible, for the distance, and if you have showers at the office. You cannot decide half way to stop. Your boss is waiting for you. Or if you go home, your wife.

Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I didnt find a route.

Anyway, how are you guys holding up?

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am into cycling, yoga and morning walk (alternatively)
and, I'll be turning 40 in just 315 more months

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:Saurabh, I don't run myself, so I actually don't know much about it. But I've heard often from other people that running is hard on your joints, everytime your feet hit the ground your knees and ankles get a shock.

I'm a casual runner (5k a few times a week) and I'll maintain that most of the problems people have with running is because they don't stretch. Tight muscles will pull the knee joint and the cartilage that cushions it out of alignment, resulting in pain. A tight Achilles tendon will result in foot pain (ask me how I know!).
Stretching becomes even more important as one gets older since you aren't as flexible and spend your days sitting at a desk.

I do some of my very best work in water. Like this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic