• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

CVS Question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have three questions on CVS.

1). I just connected to a CVS repository from my IDE. Should I have to do an update even though I did not checkout anything to see the latest code?

2). Does the Head always have the latest code?

3). If I checkout code, Will other people not have access to it until I check it back in?

Thanks

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Arjun,
1) You can browse in the CVS perspective, but it is slow because there is a network call each time you go down one directory (package) and you don't see Java code in the Java editor. I prefer to checkout.
2) HEAD is the latest code in the HEAD branch. There could be other branches for bug fixes and the like. You'll need to ask someone on your project.
3) No. CVS is optimistic and does not lock files.

Arjun Reddy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Arjun,
1) You can browse in the CVS perspective, but it is slow because there is a network call each time you go down one directory (package) and you don't see Java code in the Java editor. I prefer to checkout.
2) HEAD is the latest code in the HEAD branch. There could be other branches for bug fixes and the like. You'll need to ask someone on your project.
3) No. CVS is optimistic and does not lock files.

Thank you Jeanne.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Arjun Reddy wrote:

3). If I checkout code, Will other people not have access to it until I check it back in?

Thanks

CVS, SVN, and many of the other open-source VCS tools do not lock access to checked-out resources. This is by design, since these systems, open-source themselves, were designed to be the code repositories for other open-source systems, such as the PostgreSQL database, the various apache.org files, and even the Linux and some BSD OS's (Linux uses git these days).

Open-source projects aren't as tightly managed as traditional IT shop projects. The contributors are often on widely-separated parts of the planet, and if one of them decides to take a long vacation or something, you don't want the code that he/she was working on to be held hostage until an administrator can pry it loose again. So these systems don't lock code, but instead work on a straight update if no one else has modified the code or a merge operation if they have.

Arjun Reddy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:

Arjun Reddy wrote:

Thanks

CVS, SVN, and many of the other open-source VCS tools do not lock access to checked-out resources. This is by design, since these systems, open-source themselves, were designed to be the code repositories for other open-source systems, such as the PostgreSQL database, the various apache.org files, and even the Linux and some BSD OS's (Linux uses git these days).

Open-source projects aren't as tightly managed as traditional IT shop projects. The contributors are often on widely-separated parts of the planet, and if one of them decides to take a long vacation or something, you don't want the code that he/she was working on to be held hostage until an administrator can pry it loose again. So these systems don't lock code, but instead work on a straight update if no one else has modified the code or a merge operation if they have.

Thanks Tim.

He does not suffer fools gladly. But this tiny ad does:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic