• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

why scripting languages are slow.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I read in an article that

facebook uses hiphop to convert PHP code to C++ code, to gain performance as scripting languages are slow

I searched in web to find out why scripting languages are slow compare to programming languages, I could not get convincing answer, could anyone explain?

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A program in a scripting language, by definition, is stored in source-code form until you're ready to run it. When it runs, a program called an interpreter reads the source code and figures out what it means, generating machine code which can then be executed. Usually the translation is done one line at a time, as needed. That translation takes time, and so it slows the program down. For a compiled language, on the other hand, that translation is done by a compiler, once, before you install the program. Then when it is executed, it's already in machine-code form. It's faster because it doesn't have to be translated into machine code before running it.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic