• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

curious stuff returned in Url.getFile() or Url.getPath();

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I would like to better understand what to expect when I use a .getFile() or .getPath() on a Url object. I am noticing that for resources packed in a jar, there may be an "!" in the file string separating the jar from the resource part. Also, at the beginning, there may be "file:/" preceding the "c:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Phil/..." etc. At least, this is what occurs on my Windows XP OS, from a Jar. The file string returned from within Eclipse IDE is different as well.

My understanding is that the best way to pack content files with a Jar, and then load this content, is to use the class.getResource(relativeFileName) which returns a Url or class.getResourceAsStream(relativeFileName) which returns an InputStream. Both work for my current project, but there is an object I wish to create that has a requirement for a working file name in its constructor. (I am a bit wary about going into this code--which I did not write--to try and figure out a way to redo the constructor to accept a URL.)

I can certainly do various string ops on the strings I get from .getFile(), (e.g., convert %20 to " ", strip out the "file:/" or "!") but it would be nice to know more about the range of things to expect. Or, it would be nice to know if there is a better way to determine an absolute, full path file name for a resource.

Any suggestions where I could learn more about this? I have read through the Java Tutorials "Custom Networking", "Working with URLs" section and don't see the issue addressed there.

Many thanks!

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can't get a file reference for a file inside a JAR file. That's because it simply isn't an actual file anymore; it's an entry inside an existing file. I see two options here: 1) extract the file to a real file, probably using File.createTempFile to store that file in the system's temp folder, or 2) modify the library to accept an InputStream and/or URL. Converting a File into a URL is no problem; just call toURI().toURL() on the File instance.

Phil Freihofner
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for the quick, concise response, and two clear paths towards resolution. One or the other will surely work out.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic