• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I am finnally making "forum reader" application.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It will be soo good application. I am combining it with notes organiser, and things ..

Right now I am making... the preloading of all the topics in the page..

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
iOS app, Android app, Mac app, Windows app, BB app, Linux app, web app?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is it supposed to be meaningless?

Petar Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hm... Actually... I had a strange time with people recently. Things from recent conversations with other people: math is bad, Java programmers are stupid people, learning sql and uml is not pragmatic, and lots of things like this from proffesionals, lots of things like this. So probably the thing is in me that I have concluded that talking about the small app in a meaningles drivel forum is the way to go. Sounds funny to me. And logical. And the right thing to do. It is kind of meaningless.

Hm... It's Java app, but I am programming only on windows. I am more thinking like, would it be legal if I would spread the application that can read web pages and forums, ripping off all the unnecessary data, pictures, design, everything, and having something like a centralised place where the templates could be stored. If that would be legal, then I would wonder would it be a multiuser app. Hmm... like, for example, not only being able to share links (with friends from Facebook, or something), but leaving notes on other peoples web pages, that others would see. Becaouse, for now, I am just planning to do it for my self, to make something that would make my internet experience better, faster, practical, more intuitive to me, more bending towards my purpouses.

Today I was again thinking about making a plugin for eclipse with which I could watch the real time market news headlines while programming, which should be the part of this. I was thinking, like, on the right side, where can be a todo list, I could have news lines in upper half, and different forum topics on downer half, appearing as being created. And blogs also. Like, having interesting blogs immediatelly appear on the list with the new post.

So, for now it's like this, desktop app, probably Eclipse plugin connected to database (like having my code archive and notes), maybe Android app but I never did anything with Android yet, and if I would see sense in making it for other people as well, practically if what would be legal would consist any interesting part, then whatever, all, I don't know.

For me it's not easy to say that it is not meaningless.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Petar Thomas wrote:Hm... Actually... I had a strange time with people recently. Things from recent conversations with other people: math is bad, Java programmers are stupid people, learning sql and uml is not pragmatic, and lots of things like this from proffesionals, lots of things like this.

That's sort of "Meaningful Drivel". People quite often have strongly-held opinions which are actually rubbish.

Petar Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, that thing. Exactly that. I'm going to smoke a cigarete. I should stop smoking. Usually I don't smoke for months, than I smoke for few days, or weeks. I think that now I am near two months of smoking, I enjoy it...

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So, basically you are going to reinvent RSS Plugins for Eclipse?

Petar Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's quite correct. I was just thinking about similarities with rss. Maybe there are bunch of needs that are not answered, or needs that are not uncovered. I am not really good with rss. I imagine rss is published. I was never thinking about that what I do from that side. For now I imagine this part like a combination of spider/crawler and template data grabber. Like, trying to make what is interesting for me from Internet and files as a part of some system on my hands. I am not yet understanding the apstraction of the proceses that I wish to make and use, neither the "language" of this what I am doing. I think one of the next thing I'll do is to make GUI formula designer for extracting data from any page, or for redesing, but first I would have to understand it without GUI part, becaouse for now, at this moment what I can do is to make interfaces for any forum "reader", and program implementations. The thing becomes immediatelly a bit complicated, for example, if I want to "rip off" one page, creating a template, it would be nice to use that template for any similar page. Then there is also the relationship between the "ripped page" and a data structure.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic