• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What certification to choose?

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I would like to get EJB certified and I have been reading a while about certification paths on the Oracle website: Oracle Certifications

I have found several certificates of which I can not seem to determine the exact difference, and more personal, which one I should choose.
First there is 1Z0-860 / CX-310-091 which seems to be the basic Java 5 EE exam.
But then there is also 1Z0-895 / CX-310-093 which, I assume, is the equivalent for Java 6?
Finally there is 1Z0-898 / CX-310-094 which looks like it's JPA orientated but it seems to me it is much like the one mentioned here above.

Does anyone know what the differences are, and which one I should choose (being SCJP 1.4 certified, having a lot of experience with Java 5 and EJB 3).

Also I am looking for an appropriate exam book. I mean a book which is specifically written for those who want to take the exam, not just about EJB.

Cheers,
Kjeld

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1Z0-860 is for Java EE 5, as you correctly said. For Java EE 6, this exam has been broken up into 1Z0-895 and 1Z0-898. Check out the details of these exams and you will see the differences.

Ranch Hand
Google Web Toolkit Java Google App Engine
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kjeld,

You must keep in mind the difference between Java EE and SE. You've said that you're familiar with Java 5 (I suppose Java SE 5) and EJB3 (3.1 or 3.0?). My test is scheduled for August 9th and I've studied the book Enterprise JavaBeans by Andrew Lee Rubinger and Bill Burke, it's an excellent book to study.

To prepare for the test I'm using the enthuware simulate, but with the question bank of the SCBCD (the old test), it's good but nowadays they already have the question bank for the new test.

Just for clarification, the certification of EJB and JPA were together and now they are split. I think that's because the EJB has reborn and surely is big enough to justify a certification for it. JPA on the other hand, was covered in the past certification test for simplicity and because of it's predecessor, the entities beans. Once it's big enough and also not bound to EJB anymore, it justify the separation.

I've used JPA with a NoSQL database (bigtable / appengine datastore), and there is also the possibility to use it outside any application server.

Some people could say that was a move from Oracle to earn more money or something like this, but I don't think so. I think it's pretty natural given the nature of both technologies. Try to see the bright side, you can study for either as you were studying for the old one. It will require a little bit more, but the reward (the knowledge), will make it worth.

Hope this help!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic