• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Self Bound or Recursive Generics

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am using a concept these days called Self bound or Recursive generics but i am not able to understand it.
Can someone explain that what is a recursive or self bound generics? Why we should use them and what is
the advantage? Looking forward for a pointer.

BR,

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Prithvi,

I assume you are referring to the declaration that looks something like this:
Here, the formal type parameter T is defined in terms of itself. It's actually less hard than it looks.

When you create an instance of First, it's actual type parameter must be something that extends Second<T>, where T is the same type as the actual type parameter.

Here's an example:
The use if this is that you can require types to accept or return values that are of their own type. An example of this is the Enum class. Enum requires its subclasses to return instances of themselves:

Prithvi Sehgal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Stephen,

I am talking about this DecryptEnum

These are self-bound generics. So i am looking forward to know what advantage do they give and how simply we can decrypt this Enum thing.

BR,

Prithvi Sehgal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello, Stephen,

This technique is more famously known as getThis() technique also. It is described here but i am unable
to understand this concept. Can you have a look at it and let me know what does this exactly mean.
Please check getThis()

BR,

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Enum<E extends Enum<E>> basically means: "each enum must be an enum of its own type".

It more or less forces Enum subtypes to return instances of their own type, which makes sense.

I say more or less, because if Enum wasn't a special class in the Java language, it would be possible to make a declaration like this:. This however would still force Color to be an Enum<Color>, which is what it's all about.

If in Java you want subtypes of a type to return or accept instances of their own formal type, the general pattern is: X<T extends X<T>>.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic