• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Help with GPA calculator program

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello first time poster here! I am writing a program for my college class in which we are supposed to calculate GPA from an input file. These are the exact directions:

The course points equal (gradePoints x credits). Write a program that reads data from a text file that contains a sequence of (letter grade, credits) pairs, and calculates the overall GPA of the student. An example of the input may look something like this:
B- 3
D+ 2
A 3
W 0
C+ 4
B 3
Requirements:
1. Use a method that takes a letter grade and a number of credits as parameters, calculates and returns the points for the course.
2. All input data is read from the file which will be made public a few dates before the due date. The format of the data is: one course per line, with a letter grade (string) and number of credits (integer) for each course, as shown in the example above. Test your program with your own data file.
3. Echo each (letter grade, credit) pair. That is, display the input data in a readable manner.
4. Also display the course points and the cumulative points.
5. Use a method to display the total number of credits and the overall GPA.

Here is my code so far:

I am currently getting the error message java.io.FileNotFoundException:
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
at java.util.Scanner.<init>(Scanner.java:656)
at GPA.getCoursePoints(GPA.java:46)
at GPA.main(GPA.java:23)
any help would be greatly appreciated as this has me stuck!

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Darrien Kamai wrote:I am currently getting the error message java.io.FileNotFoundException: ...
any help would be greatly appreciated as this has me stuck!

Because your getCoursePoints() method sets 'filename' to "", creates a File with it, and then tries to connect a Scanner to that.

I suspect you want some way of getting the output from your getFileName() method into your getCoursePoints() one; you just haven't done it right yet.

(BTW: If it was me, I think I'd have a getFile() method that returns a File, rather than passing Strings around, but it's up to you).

Winston

Darrien Kamai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok thanks Winston that helped with the error. As far as a getfile() method i'm really not sure how to do that because my professor hasn't tought it and my book doesn't mention it. so far this is my code slightly revised.

We have to use Bluej as our program for writing and compiling and I think this might be it making a mistake (it frequently does) but I am now getting an error in the getCoursePoints() method, its saying that variable filename has not been initialized and that I should declare it. But if I do that then I am led back to my "" error that will stop it cold. This may be able to be fixed with the getfile() solution, any help on how to do that would be wonderful.

Darrien Kamai
Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok finally figured it out, had to make more methods instead of 1 really complex one

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Darrien Kamai wrote: . . . more methods instead of 1 really complex one

That is a valuable lesson to learn.

And welcome to the Ranch

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Darrien Kamai wrote:Ok thanks Winston that helped with the error. As far as a getfile() method i'm really not sure how to do that because my professor hasn't tought it and my book doesn't mention it...

A quick peek ahead for you then :Strings are very powerful, but in this case you actually want a File, so it's usually better to return one.

The nice thing about doing it that way is that you can then also validate it without changing anything else, viz:Don't worry about it too much at the moment, but remember the message: Strings make a poor substitute for a proper class.

ok finally figured it out, had to make more methods instead of 1 really complex one

As Campbell said: a valuable lesson, and you should be proud that you've learnt it so quickly.

Winston

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did you really say while( f.exists() == false ) ...?

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Did you really say while( f.exists() == false ) ...?

Just for clarity, since we're in the Beginner's section; and I do sometimes use the construct if I have a lot of negative logic to deal with. Not a big fan of bangs, despite the Unix (and Lewes) background .

Winston

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I presume the dust has settled at Lewes, but getting the greenhorns used to there is a good idea. Otherwise you get them writing while(boo = false) ... by mistake.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi this is Robert and I'm suggest you that you declare a function prototype and a switch loop or do/while statement if you have a more memory. I also analysis some issues with your code that uinitialized variables, there a scanf is outside the while loop, the basic issue is that there are no decremented the count.Hope that helped and back to me if my suggestions helps you.Thanks

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch

How does that answer the original question?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic