• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Collection Class ArrayListMap

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm in the transition from a beginner to a intermediate in my Java Foo, so I lack confidence in some of this. Wanted to get some advice from the masters.

I know to try and choose the best collection for the task, but I find sometimes that I need a collection to do a couple things quickly - mainly I want to know the index and value. Primarily, I need something fast on get(), indexOf, contains(). So here is my attempt to increase performance over an ArrayList by optimizing the return for the type of call by complementing it with a HashMap. It is a little slower on add() of an ArrayList and takes a little more memory for the map, but the trade off is fast returns when using indexOf() and contains(). I'm thinking the additional memory consumption is minor since it's using Objects, so it shouldn't have to store it twice... correct?

So looking for any advice, suggestions, comments.

Anyway, here are my quick benchmarks in ms running a 50,000 loop.

add()
50.0 ArrayList
90.0 HashMap
55.0 ArrayListMap

contains()
13790.0 ArrayList
61934.0 HashMap containsValue()
41.0 HashMap containsKey() using value as key
41.0 ArrayListMap

get()
1.0 ArrayList
1.0 ArrayListMap
3.0 HashMap

indexOf()
13639.0 ArrayList
19.0 ArrayListMap
19.0 HashMap using value as key

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeff Gent wrote:So looking for any advice, suggestions, comments.

A few:
1. In order to be most useful, I reckon your class should implement at least one of the collection interfaces. List<E> seems the most obvious, although in fact your class is closer to a Set (see below). You could even implement both.
2. Because you are storing your elements in a HashMap, you will not be able to store duplicates. If that's OK, great; but you should be aware of it.
3. If you want your set() method to replicate ArrayList's, then it needs to return an element. Also, you don't strictly need to do a remove() before you do the put().

But otherwise, congratulations - your first collection wrapper class. Fun, aren't they?

Winston

Jeff Gent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks! I think for that Set, I meant to do the following. Since the value is what is being changed, it may not be there in the HashMap to change.
Also, thanks for the reminder that it doesn't support duplicates - I ran some checks and verified I'm not adding any in my overall program. I'll look into the implements - that's not something I've done yet. The whole implements, extends, abstract stuff is still something I'm learning and I find a bit confusing.

Bartender
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Winston Gutkowski wrote:

Jeff Gent wrote:So looking for any advice, suggestions, comments.

A few:
1. In order to be most useful, I reckon your class should implement at least one of the collection interfaces. List<E> seems the most obvious, although in fact your class is closer to a Set (see below). You could even implement both.

No class can fulfill both contracts. Equality pops to mind. There may be other incompatibilities, but nothing that I can think of at the moment.

He can of course still choose to implement both and document the deviations from the contracts, but I wouldn't advise it without a really pressing need.

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeff Verdegan wrote:No class can fulfill both contracts. Equality pops to mind.

Yes, that's true; although the basic contract for both interfaces can be overriden (and is in some subclasses). It's often seemed a little odd to me that there is no hybrid of the two - ie, a List that can't contain duplicate values, or a Set that offers randomized access.

Winston

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Winston Gutkowski wrote:It's often seemed a little odd to me that there is no hybrid of the two - ie, a List that can't contain duplicate values, or a Set that offers randomized access.

It doesn't provide random access, but a LinkedHashSet is a set with an order, which is a hybrid of List and Set to some extent.

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say that removing an item should cause the indexes of subsequent items to be adjusted, which is not happening at the moment. Straightforward correction of this deficiency will make item removal an O(n) operation. Of course, depending on the need this might not pose a problem.

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say that removing an item should cause the indexes of subsequent items to be adjusted...

Ah yes. Well spotted that man. I suppose you could define an interface of your own (SparseList?) that extends java.util.List but redefines some of the operations. It also tends to suggest that null values should be disallowed.

Winston

Jeff Gent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say that removing an item should cause the indexes of subsequent items to be adjusted, which is not happening at the moment. Straightforward correction of this deficiency will make item removal an O(n) operation. Of course, depending on the need this might not pose a problem.

Thanks, I've adjusted it as the following to update the hash values, so the index lines up after a removal.

Jeff Gent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just wanted to post this in case anyone else happen to use it. I made a change to the indexOf to better conform to the ArrayList return of -1 instead of a Null.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic