• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

new to java (error: package com.jgoodies.forms.* does not exist)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey all,

Nice to meet all of you, I've been reading some posts here and it seems like the right place to ask some questions.

I'm trying to transfere into a Software development course in my college, and the head of school sugested that i learn java before my interview, and show the panel a program that i made.

I've been reading "Headfirst Java" and "beginning Java" and have read through as far as the chapter on GUI's in both books. The program that i want to present will allow nurses to record and view patient observations (Temp, BP etc).

I've been using JFormDesigner 5 to build the GUI, and when i try to compile the code that its made for me i get the above error.

i have downloaded the jgoodies rar file and put it into the folder that i have the path property pointing to, (D:\Java) but still get this error.

I'm making a simple mistake somewhere. Can someone help? I'm sure i'll have more questions, but this is the one stopping me from doing anything at the minute.

Many thanks,
Gerry

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Gerry,

First comment is that I will take your "path" statement literally. Make sure any archive files and class files are on the classpath, not the OS path.

I also can't say I have ever tried using a *.rar file (zip, jar, etc yes, but not a rar). At a glance it looks like this extention may be ok, but that may be one thing to check - assuming it is a zip/jar format and it does not work when defined on the classpath you may try renaming it to jar to see if that matters. I don't think it will as I am assuming that a fully qualified file name on the classpath will be ok.

For quick reference I am copying some jar/classpath examples from Classpath Wiki

java -classpath D:\myprogram;D:\myprogram\lib\supportLib.jar org.mypackage.HelloWorld
or alternatively:

set CLASSPATH=D:\myprogram;D:\myprogram\lib\supportLib.jar
java org.mypackage.HelloWorld

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Are you using any IDE for compiling? If not what command do you use and what is your directory structure?

Vyas Sanzgiri
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also, Welcome to JavaRanch Gerry McArdle !!

This forum has helped me through 3 certs and lots of queries. So keep posting and contributing. Many experts are here to help

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Brian Burress wrote:I also can't say I have ever tried using a *.rar file (zip, jar, etc yes, but not a rar). At a glance it looks like this extention may be ok, but that may be one thing to check - assuming it is a zip/jar format and it does not work when defined on the classpath you may try renaming it to jar to see if that matters. I don't think it will as I am assuming that a fully qualified file name on the classpath will be ok.

RAR files are very different from ZIP / JAR. It's also a compression format, but that's as far as the similarities go.

However, I know JGoodies Forms, and it doesn't come as a RAR file, only as a ZIP file. If Gerry really does have a RAR file it doesn't come from jgoodies.com.

Which leads me to the following: inside the latest official ZIP file there are two JAR files that would need to be added to the class path - jgoodies-forms-1.4.2.jar, and jgoodies-common-1.2.1.jar that can be found inside the lib folder inside the ZIP file. The former is the actual Forms library, the second its only dependency.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic