• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Head First HTML5 Programming

Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Eric Freeman, Elisabeth Robson
Publisher   : O'Reilly Media
Category   : Web design, HTML and JavaScript
Review by : John Wetherbie
Rating        : 9 horseshoes

So, what's in it for you if you buy Head First HTML5 Programming? Well, you'll get a book that focuses on helping you "get" HTML5 and helping you not to forget what you learned. The authors approach this task by providing short introductions to a topic, such as a particular aspect of JavaScript, and then having you work exercises - some paper and some coding. The authors even encourage you to write in the book. Make sure you have a pencil!

Keeping your interest, and hence your attention, is a strength of the book. Lots of pictures and notes all over the place? You bet. Its all part of getting the important information about HTML5 that you want to learn (otherwise why did you get the book?) to your brain. Once they have your attention the authors help you retain the material by presenting it in a variety of ways and having you do a variety of exercises. The exercises are key to getting the knowledge into your head and keeping it there.

The book expects that you know HTML and CSS to some extent and provides very good introductions to JavaScript and its new APIs. The topics covered in the book include:

- An introduction to JavaScript
- Using the Geolocation API in your web pages
- Web apps & JSON
- Being artistic with the Canvas API
- Becoming a video star with the Video API
- Using storage in client browsers
- Using Web Workers to get the job done outside the main JavaScript thread

I highly recommend this book. It is aimed to help you learn, have fun while you're learning, and to help you retain this knowledge so you can go out there and do great HTML5 stuff.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Head First HTML5 Programming is by far the best book I have ever seen for newbie front-end developer. It goes on to introduce Javascript for foundation. Then it shows all the magic combining HTML5 and Javascript.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Head First HTML5 is a good book. The language is easy and its fun to read. It really engages the reader so you remember much more when you put it down and over the months after you have put it down.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I read the Head First HTML5 Book. It's one of the very good books I've read. The first chapter nicely introduces HTML 5, followed by Java Script in chapters 2 and 3. Web Workers, Geo Location API etc. are very
well explained with examples. One thing I liked most on the web workers topic is the use case that was presented in the end. It talks about the optimal setting for the "Number of workers" based on the cores available.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic