• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

REST API Design RuleBook... why is necesary?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mark

i'm really newbie in REST World.

in this time i working in SOA projects so REST its another perspective ( to SOAP perspective).

How your book help to understanding the basic REST concept and the important Design work ( after of code of course)
its your book and WRML concepts for create "REST applications" or provide Desgin Mechanism for construct many applicacions with core basis (ejm Restlet for java apps)?

Sorry for my english .. its not my native language

author and iconoclast
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Camilo,

REST is a description of how the World Wide Web works (from a software/platform perspective). The REST constraints provide high-level guidelines for Web API design. However, they leave some "wiggle room" in terms of the design of a REST API's resource model (e.g. URI paths and HTTP interactions) and its representations (e.g. JSON or XML).

The book attempts to motivate some particular choices that I believe are best practices. These include some very commonly held ideas, like the role of GET, and some not so established patterns, like hypermedia links in JSON. The book has a few code examples but it is really not an implementation guide for RESTful web services.

This book asserts that REST API designs should only be as different as they really need to be. Design differences for difference sake just makes things harder on our API clients and certainly don't help us advance toward the vision of a uniformly programmable Web. Personally, I like the idea of a World Wide Wiki - where all of the world's information is available via REST APIs that are similar enough (or provide enough metadata) that client programs can "digitally surf" (and even edit) this machine web in order to extract and mashup disparate data sets in interesting ways. Even more than that I like the idea of a open standard REST API design approach with enough inertia that we can all invest in building a set of common tools and frameworks to make programming modern web applications much easier and more fun. Lastly, I'd like us all to be able to standardize on our web application interactions without converging to a common programming language - because I don't see that happening any time soon. These ideas and goals are the motivations behind the WRML (http://www.wrml.org) open source project.

Thanks for your interest,
-Mark

Camilo Cruz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you! sounds very interesting

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic