• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Crazy Fast Square Root

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ok, so I have a need for a super fast square root function - common enough thing. Math.sqrt just is not fast enough - I need every bit of performance while doing some N body simulations. So I found this article which lists different ways along with their performance and accuracy. So I'd like to use #14, which it says is 375% faster than the C Math.sqrt, but doing it is a bit beyond me.

It would make a nice little Java library if someone could make a JNA or JNI for this code! (Uses inline method for Assembly)

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JNI isn't hard to get started with, and there are a lot of easy-to-follow tutorials out there on the web, like this one: http://electrofriends.com/articles/jni/jni-part1-java-native-interface/. Have you tried to do it yourself?

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeff Gent wrote:Ok, so I have a need for a super fast square root function - common enough thing. Math.sqrt just is not fast enough - I need every bit of performance while doing some N body simulations. So I found this article which lists different ways along with their performance and accuracy. So I'd like to use #14, which it says is 375% faster than the C Math.sqrt, but doing it is a bit beyond me.

Well, first: it looks like the method might be doing some pointer manipulation, which ain't allowed in Java.

Second: if speed is paramount, why aren't you doing the whole thing in assembler?

Third: 9ns isn't fast enough for you? That's what Math.sqrt() takes on my 4-year old clunker Dell (averaged over 100,000,000 calls).

Fourth: Math.sqrt() is likely to be optimized as and when new algorithms turn up; so its performance is only likely to get better. I compared it with the method from this article, written 2 years ago, which seemed quite neat. The author claims that it's 3 times faster (although not as accurate); I found it to be more than 3 times slower with no repetitions, and four times slower with 1.

Winston

PS: If you're really interested in this stuff, you might want to check out Paul Hsieh's page, which has been around for a while now.

Jeff Gent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Moores wrote:JNI isn't hard to get started with, and there are a lot of easy-to-follow tutorials out there on the web, like this one: http://electrofriends.com/articles/jni/jni-part1-java-native-interface/. Have you tried to do it yourself?

I tried a little while back, but couldn't get it to work, perhaps because of the assembler components. I've made a very basic JNI once, but this one is more difficult.

Jeff Gent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Winston Gutkowski wrote:Well, first: it looks like the method might be doing some pointer manipulation, which ain't allowed in Java.

Even with JNA or JNI?

Winston Gutkowski wrote:Second: if speed is paramount, why aren't you doing the whole thing in assembler?

I don't know assembler. I'm familiar with Java.

Winston Gutkowski wrote:Third: 9ns isn't fast enough for you? That's what Math.sqrt() takes on my 4-year old clunker Dell (averaged over 100,000,000 calls).

It does distance calculations, so take that * itself * 3, and iterate it 100 times. My Java Profiler shows that the vast majority of the time is spent on sqrt.

Winston Gutkowski wrote:Fourth: Math.sqrt() is likely to be optimized as and when new algorithms turn up; so its performance is only likely to get better. I compared it with the method from this article, written 2 years ago, which seemed quite neat. The author claims that it's 3 times faster (although not as accurate); I found it to be more than 3 times slower with no repetitions, and four times slower with 1.

So because it might be faster in two years, I shouldn't mess it now? How about when it gets faster, I'll switch back.

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeff Gent wrote:How about when it gets faster, I'll switch back...

It'll never happen; believe me, I've been there before. You may just be the exception though.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

Winston

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just a diversion: are you sure you need to calculate any square roots?

For example, if you wanted to know which of a set of points was closest to a given point, you might at first compute the distance of each of the points to the given point, thus calling the sqrt function once for each of the points. But it's sufficient to work with the squares of the distances; you don't need to call sqrt in this case. Perhaps your algorithm can be similarly adjusted to call sqrt fewer times?

Jeff Gent
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:Just a diversion: are you sure you need to calculate any square roots?

For example, if you wanted to know which of a set of points was closest to a given point, you might at first compute the distance of each of the points to the given point, thus calling the sqrt function once for each of the points. But it's sufficient to work with the squares of the distances; you don't need to call sqrt in this case. Perhaps your algorithm can be similarly adjusted to call sqrt fewer times?

Thanks, that's a very good point. In places where I could eliminate the sqrt, I have. So some of my distance calculations are just sq(x2 - x1) + sq(y2 - y1) + sq(z2 - z1), others are an approximate distance. In fact, if I could find a more efficient sq function, that would be even better.. haha. My sq() is just (a * a).

Those are the largest trousers in the world! Especially when next to this ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic