• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Class Cast related query

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I was trying this below code:

I really want to know what actually happens in Memory for these below two lines:
A a1 = new B();
B b1 = (B)a1;

Also I want to know the use of Upcasting,just some example from Practical life where we really need to use it.

I am not able to visualize this .

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. You create a new reference variable and assign a new B object to it. You can only invoke methods implemented by A on the B object.
2. You create a new reference variable, which refers to exactly the same object as the first variable

Concluding: You've just created 1 object, and two variables referring to that object!

There are many cases in which you'd want to use upcasting. F.e. when you want to do some generic things for all subclasses of a particular class.

F.e.:

Are you sure you're talking about upcasting? Since upcasting is always implicit. Am I wrong here?

Debapriya Mukherjee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here I created an Object of Type B.But when I assigned it to superclass Object reference(which is a1) the upcating happened automatically.
although it was a B type object now it will behave like a1.It lost its specific Properties other than the generic.
Then I performed the downcast to obtain the lost specific properties of the Object of type B.

I hope my understanding is correct now?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic